Polaris ATV Forum banner

1 - 7 of 7 Posts

·
Registered
43 Posts
Discussion Starter #1
I've googled & searched this forum and still can't find my answer...

I was riding the other day for an hour or so and the ATV's (2005 800cc EFI) RPMs bogged down and ultimately acted as if it was flooded, as in each time I touched the throttle, it would stop working (Key-ON, Engine-OFF). I could hear a boiling sound from the front of the engine. I looked at my radiator reservoir and it appeared to be on the "Hot Line" and not leaking from the red-vented cap. No fluids appeared to be leaking from the front of the ATV either. I waited 5 minutes and it started back up only to travel 50 yards before acting the same. I threw the chains on it and towed it back to camp where it sat for 2-3 hours. I started it again and was able to drive it normally for a minute or two before I parked it on the trailer for fear of some unforeseeable damage occured. Upon arriving home, the ATV drove perfectly into the basement for storage. At no point did I observe any codes on the Speedo.

Thank you for your assistance in advance... Any ideas?

·
Registered
619 Posts
Bad thermostat? Does your fan run?

·
Registered
43 Posts
Discussion Starter #3
I didn't know at the time it was neccessary to pay attention to that at the time. I'm at work at the moment and can't really check. I do recall it working the following day however.

·
Registered
1,180 Posts
You may also want to check the coolant system for air. Pull the radiator (pressure) cap and let it warm up. Sometimes you can get it to burp as it warms up. Do not let it get to hot with the cap off. You may need to replace the cap.

·
8,736 Posts
LOL... Welcome to the brave new world of alcohol diluted and oxygenated liquid BS the Federal mafia calls fuel these days. It's the crap inside your tank that you hear boiling and vapor lock in the lines causing your machine to cut out. Next time is does it loosen the lid on your tank (carefully) to let it blow off the excess pressure and then look down inside and watch it boil like a tea kettle.

You can insulate the tank and lines to help some but the only REAL solution is to buy pure gas if you can find it or at least use a premium grade which tends to not boil as easily.

Good luck!!

·
Registered
838 Posts
My 500 does the same. When the header pipes get good and hot the heat causes the fuel tank to get hot and the gas starts boiling. You can crack open the gas lid slowly and see what I'm talking about.

1 - 7 of 7 Posts