Polaris ATV Forum banner

1 - 6 of 6 Posts

·
Registered
5 Posts
Discussion Starter #1 (Edited)
2005 atp 500ho stuck in AWD??

Hello everyone

I just picked up a 2005 ATP 500HO today in MN. I bought it used off craigslist, very nice clean machine, about 1000 miles.

Brought it home and took it out on the lake. I was playing with the different drive modes, AWD, 2WD, and Turf mode. The question I have, is when in 2WD/Turf, should all 4 spin in low traction?

I went on my buddies ice rink and drove the wheeler up to the snowbank, touched the front tires to it. I then stuck it in turf mode, and gave it gas, and all 4 wheels spun. The same behavior took place in 2wd, and awd. Once in turf mode I only had 2 wheels spinning however, front left and rear right. However, I couldnt recreate that, after more testing it was always all 4. My buddy has an 08 500 HO EFI, and we checked his, in 2wd the fronts never engaged.

Even in reverse I had all 4 going, which I always understood should not happen unless that override button is pushed in...

Is this normal behavior, or is this thing stuck in 4? When I switch from 2wd to awd I do hear a click in the back, which is what my buddies 08 does.....

I guess I dont mind if it automatically makes all 4 go in low traction no matter what mode its in, but I want to make sure that is normal....

Thoughts?

Thanks in advance,
Matt

·
Registered
6,903 Posts
with the 4x4 system in the 05 and newer models, it is possible to get the fronts to engage in 2wd mode if the rears begin to spin fast, for instance, on a sheet of ice. i have had this happen before on an 07 sportsman 450. although not consitant, it did engage 4wd while in 2wd mode spinning on the slippery road one winter.

normally, no, in 2wd the fronts should not kick in. and especially in reverse, it should not be in 4x4 unless the switch is in 4x4 and you have the override pushed in, like you stated.

the click you hear when going from 2wd to 4x4 is the rear diff locking and unlocking. when you go into turf mode, the rear diff unlocks and the wheel with the least resistance gets ALL of the power. basically turf mode is 1wd. it keeps the machine from tearing up grass or something like that, and makes steering easier.

for starters, given it is an 05, i would change out the fluid in the front gearcase. make sure for this you get the polaris brand stuff. that system is very dependent on the correct fluid. if the previous owner put any other brand hub fluid in, this could be what is causing this

·
Registered
5 Posts
Discussion Starter #3
So bad/old fluid may be the only thing wrong here?

·
Registered
6,903 Posts
maybe, hard to tell, but thats where i would start. a 1QT bottle will change that fluid out a few times, i think it is only like 9oz of fluid up there or something like that. if it doesnt, then we start digging deeper.

·
Registered
5 Posts
Discussion Starter #5
I talked to the guy I bought the wheeler from, and he said that front gearcase oil was changed this summer. Testing the machine more, I have determined that it is pretty much always in 4wd, no matter what the switch is set to.....even reverse. I called my local dealer, and he said it was "something electronic" and that they would need to perform a full diagnostics, etc.....any thoughts?

·
Registered
68 Posts
locked 4wd

I talked to the guy I bought the wheeler from, and he said that front gearcase oil was changed this summer. Testing the machine more, I have determined that it is pretty much always in 4wd, no matter what the switch is set to.....even reverse. I called my local dealer, and he said it was "something electronic" and that they would need to perform a full diagnostics, etc.....any thoughts?
Hey did u ever figure out what was wrong with your 4wd system? Was it an electronic or just a bad hub? My 500 Sportsman occasionally engages it's front left wheel even when in 2wd mode and my bike doesn't have Turf mode BTW. I chkd oil in hub and it was low and looked like crap. I drained it out and put fresh oil inside and it works properly 80% of the time now, prior to this it was only working right 20% of the time. LOL. Maybe I need to drain and repeat, in case there' debre in there from the old oil, but my fear is the hub is going bad since it was neglected by previous owner for so long.

1 - 6 of 6 Posts