Polaris ATV Forum banner

1 - 20 of 20 Posts

·
Registered
56 Posts
Discussion Starter · #1 ·
No 4wd in reverse, and yes I am pushing the button. Pretty sure it's the roller cage. Question is, how difficult is this to repair? Should I go with the John Deere part, or get the aluminum cage? I don't ride all that hard, but do plow and play in the snow.

Thanks

Sent from my iPad using Tapatalk

·
Registered
326 Posts
First off all change your diff fluid. The diff is very picky about the fluid. I had similiar problem that it would engageby itself and i changed fluid and it worked perfect.

·
Registered
56 Posts
Discussion Starter · #5 ·
yes i have done that, went thru all fluids this fall. didn't check the 4wd in reverse until i was plowing snow. i am fairly confident it is the roller cage in the front.
back to the original question how difficult is this for one to do on his own.

·
12,629 Posts
Does the speedo jump around when in reverse? Does the speedo indicate that the machine is in reverse? A bad tranny gear position switch or a speedo that jumps around in reverse from a faulty Hall sensor will both cause it to have intermittent or no AWD in reverse while working fine in forward gears.
Does the reverse override switch do all the other functions it's supposed to? If so, its doubtful that it is the problem.
From what you describe I don't think you have any mechanical issues...its more likely electrical.

·
Registered
56 Posts
Discussion Starter · #7 ·
the speedo does not jump around, it does indicate it is in reverse, when pushing the override button it does just that, full power no limiter going off, and the speedo says "slow"

·
Registered
5,753 Posts
It's not that hard to replace, but takes quite a bit of time. Plan on a weekend if you've never pulled a front diff before. The aluminum cage is a great upgrade, but double the price of the plastic one at $400. No special tools needed, but I would get a service manual to help you get things torqued right and set right in the diff.

·
Registered
434 Posts
sounds like a wiring issue especially since it works fine except for in reverse

·
Registered
434 Posts
looking at the schematics id unplug the plug going into the override/kill switch closest to you then take a look at the orange/grey and brown wires is it corroded or dirt in the plug? if so clean it out if not check where the orange/grey wire go into the pod/speedo plug, if neither of those make sure your ground is clean and tight on the frame

·
Registered
56 Posts
Discussion Starter · #11 ·
Just to be thorough, I drained and refilled the diff, with new demand drive fluid. The fluid that came out was pretty dark, for only being in there 3 months, no chunks of anything came out. l also pulled both plugs out of the handle bars and checked them, a little corrosion so I cleaned them with a little MAF cleaner and put some di-electric gel on them and reset them. Did not follow them into the headlight pod so that may be next. After doing what I did, still didn't work.

·
Registered
326 Posts

If your sure something is broken inside the diff. Its the same idea as your sportsman.

·
Registered
4,243 Posts
The aluminum cage is not $400 can get it from Super ATV for $140.if you get all 4 wheels off the ground, on jack stands , unplug front diff and hook 12 volts directly to plug, then see if diff works in reverse , that will tell if its electrical on the machine or if its in the diff.

·
Registered
326 Posts
I still think its something electrical, if something in the diff was to be broken or whatever the AWD wouldnt work at all.

·
Registered
56 Posts
Discussion Starter · #15 ·
The aluminum cage is not $400 can get it from Super ATV for $140.if you get all 4 wheels off the ground, on jack stands , unplug front diff and hook 12 volts directly to plug, then see if diff works in reverse , that will tell if its electrical on the machine or if its in the diff.
how would you do that? just run a jumper from the battery? does it matter which is positive and which is negative?

·
Registered
4,243 Posts
Yes a jumper from battery or another battery, yes it matters for pos-neg not sure what color wires are, cant remember but if you tell me I can tell you which is which.

·
Registered
56 Posts
Discussion Starter · #17 ·
So I tried the jumper thing, but used my battery charger...was that al right? Either way the wire colors are grey and brown with white stripe. Cleaned the terminals and hooked up the BC. I tried it with the wires both ways, nothing. Quad is on stands 4wd works in forward, but not reverse. I was also holding the button while BC was hooked up. In honesty I did use the BC only one 2 amp mode.
I took a picture of the plug just to verify it is the correct one. I also took pictures of a red wire, and a white one that just seem to "end". What are they for?

·
Registered
4,243 Posts
The brown-white is the ground, if it still only works forward , has to be in the diff, cracked cage,ect, guess its time to remove diff.

·
Registered
56 Posts
Discussion Starter · #19 ·
When trying it should I actually ground the brown-white to the machine, or is connecting it to negative on extra battery alright?

·
Registered
434 Posts
battery is ok its just a shortcut to the battery same thing since neg. on batt goes directly to the frame

1 - 20 of 20 Posts