Polaris ATV Forum banner

1 - 3 of 3 Posts

·
Registered
5 Posts
Discussion Starter #1
Working on top end rebuild. The timing marks are supposed to be level with the cylinder. I took note of this when I took it off initially and figured I would tackle it after I installed new piston/rings and set the chain on the camshaft.

The quad was not running when I got it and I confirmed low compression. I did not confirm spark.

Is there an issue with the timing marks not being perfectly level on the camshaft? I cannot set it level, either slightly off one way or the other since the chain only has two spaces the gear teeth could fit in to be close and I do not want to rock the flywheel either way,

The flywheel is definitely on its correct mark.

Sent from my SM-G960U using Tapatalk

·
Registered
5,041 Posts
As the cam chain wears, the cam timing becomes off a little as in the first pic - you correct this by replacing the cam chain and even then, wear in the sprockets may prevent things from lining up perfectly, but being off a little is no big deal and it has nothing to do with spark. If you want it perfect, get out the dial indicators and a degree wheel, have the sprocket bolt holes elongated so you can correct the timing (degree the cam). It will be closer to lining up with just a new cam chain.

·
Registered
5 Posts
Discussion Starter #3
Thanks latebird. I will probably keep it as is if it does not cause any issues with timing. I'm not really wanting to pull anything else apart in order to replace the cam chain.

Much appreciated.

Sent from my SM-G960U using Tapatalk

1 - 3 of 3 Posts