Polaris ATV Forum banner

1 - 9 of 9 Posts

·
Registered
2 Posts
Discussion Starter #1
Can anyone tell me if there is a way to test the ECM on a Polaris atv? I hate to buy one if it isn't the problem. My atv has no electrical power to anything and the battery is a new one. No lights, no power to anything. All connections seem good. We have 12 volts going into the ECM but only 5 volts at the ignition swich and the engine run/off switch. Is there a way to test the ECM before I commit to buying a replacement? Does anyone know what the voltage reading should be on the two orange wires coming out of the ECM?

·
Registered
1,565 Posts
OK, sounds more like fusable link is poped if there is no power anywhere. Don't really know what Russ is talking about. Check for the link and fuses.

·
Registered
4,243 Posts
the ecms were bad on these years, caused all kinds of problems, even aused fans to come on when key shut off, caused them to over heat and start machine on fire, see if its been done under recall,he says he has power to ecm but not out of it.

·
Registered
2 Posts
Discussion Starter #5
Russ, the ecm is a surepower 4011085. As far as I can tell, this one didn't qualify for the recalls they've had on bad ecm's (but it sounds like they should've been recalling a lot more than they did). We have 12 volts going into the ecm, we only have 5 volts at the ignition switch. Any idea what the voltage should be on the two orange wires coming out of the ecm? Any idea what the voltage should be at the ignition switch and engine run/off switch?
Appeciate everyone's help.

·
Registered
4,243 Posts
Go on atv connection, under polaris forums, ask an expert, talk to OPT, "old polaris tech, he knows alot more about the ecm problems than I do.

·
Registered
1 Posts
same problem

I have problem like You nothing working battery new 4 volts to key swich. I think the problem is in ECM because it send volts to mass cables and all quad don't have mass. I need replace ecm.

·
Registered
1 Posts
Any answers?

Did anyone get an answer to whether or not the ECM is supposed to put out only 5volts?
I have the exact same problem - 12v into the ECM but only 4.5 going to the start switch. Everything is dead.

1 - 9 of 9 Posts