Polaris ATV Forum banner

21 - 38 of 38 Posts

·
Registered
34 Posts
Discussion Starter #21
That is what I thought. I replaced the original "Looks Good" belt with a new OEM belt. I found one little crack, maybe 1/16" in the 15 year old belt. It did make a little difference with the shifting. I can stop the driven clutch with my foot, but seems like it shouldn't spin at all at idle, I think my 700 didn't move at all at idle, but that was 15 years ago, when I rebuilt it. The only thing I can think of is trying to move the transmission at tiny bit closer to the engine to maybe allow the belt to have a little more slack, if that makes sense.

·
Premium Member
7,998 Posts
Video

·
Registered
34 Posts
Discussion Starter #23
bp405, #22 above, what video are you referring to?
One thing I noticed when I checked the spacing on the drive clutch. When at idle or rev up and back to idle, the driven clutch doesn't return fully away from the engine. I would say when engine off, it moves out about 3/16".

·
Registered
61 Posts
I didn't read the whole thread, so apologies if this has been mentioned already.

I had the same year 800 - shift lever was always difficult to move. There's a side cover on the left side of the transmission if I remember right. I believe the shifter pawl is inside. Going off memory since it's been many, many years. Just follow the shift rod down, and you'll see the cover. Water and mud can work its way in there too, making things miserable. Clean everything up inside there, and give it some lubrication. Your shifting will be better than ever. After doing this, mine was better than when it had ZERO miles on it!

·
Registered
34 Posts
Discussion Starter #25
Thanks for the info...It was hard to shift from day 1. It's only been 15 years, but I am pretty sure it is harder to shift now than when new. If it was this hard I would have taken it back in. I will check your suggestion.

·
Registered
61 Posts
That's exactly how mine went. I was probably 7 years into owning it when it got so stiff I could barely shift it. Felt like I was going to bend or break something. I was using it with the plow in winter around my house exclusively at the time - didn't even own a snowblower then. That shifter got ALOT of use and abuse! What a difference with some grease, though. Was amazing how effortless it felt after that.

·
9,793 Posts
bp405, #22 above, what video are you referring to?
One thing I noticed when I checked the spacing on the drive clutch. When at idle or rev up and back to idle, the driven clutch doesn't return fully away from the engine. I would say when engine off, it moves out about 3/16".
OK... That means the primary is pulling too hard on the belt at idle... SOMTHING to do with the drive clutch is dragging/pulling on the belt too hard forcing it down into the secondary sheaves while running if they pop closed when you turn the machine off taking the tension off the belt. That allows the spring in the secondary to push the belt out and snap the sheaves fully closed. Either the one-way bearing is dragging/dry/or trashed, or the belt clearance in the primary is too tight because the washers on either side of the one-way are worn out/gone, or the belt is rubbing hard against one side or the other of the primary because its running out of line with the secondary, or a combination of one or more of the above.... If you correct the problem everything will work as its supposed to.
Its not that hard... Just takes some tinkering and a little trial and error. Get your clutches right and it'll shift like butter the way all my machines do. (y)

·
9,793 Posts
I just refreshed the clutch for my 2006 800 this evening. Looking at my service records shows it was installed new about 5500 miles ago. Probably been cleaned and inspected 3 times during that time. The one-way bearing was still functioning but was getting rough, dry and was shot. The washers on either side of the one-way were about gone and the cover bearing needed replaced. Everything else was still good and tight. About 45 minutes of my time and a few relatively inexpensive parts and its ready for several thousand more hard miles.
These ARE maintenance-intensive machines. You can either keep them up as you go with a little effort and some minor expense OR you can let things go and risk being broke down on the trail and pay big bucks for repairs later... The choice is yours.

·
Registered
61 Posts
At least you got your money's worth out of that one. I owned mine 14 years, and managed to put 1,3xx miles on - I thought that was alot! Not many places or opportunities to ride in central MA, unfortunately - the main reason she went to a new home.

·
Registered
108 Posts
Not many places or opportunities to ride in central MA, unfortunately - the main reason she went to a new home.
Sure there are. You just have to know where to look. North Central there's a ton and if you go up into NH, the sky is the limit. I crashed my KTM 300 just south of Worcester. There was a pit that led you off to some great trails. Not really Sportsman type trails there though. Head a little west and you're into dark territory. There be dragons out there lol... Tons of forest though. Mass does suck for what's "legal" vs "not legal" so sometimes it ends up a little sketchy in that regard.

·
Registered
61 Posts
I live in the western part of central MA. When I first moved here 17 years ago, there were quite a few places. Not anymore. Used to be a ton of places just south of Worcester when I was a kid all the way into my 20's. Those are all gone now, too, aside from the railroad tracks and power lines. I always liked being able to hop on the machine and go, right from my house. If I can't do that, then I hang it up, which is what I did.

We used to ride up at Templeton all the time when I was in my early 20's. That place was great! Even back then there would be occasional raids by environmental police looking for unregistered machines. Last time I was there was in '04. It wasn't the same. Lots of places we used to ride were housing developments. I heard not long after that they built several more, and that the sand pit owners barricaded the road we used to go down and park on. That place was great. Used to be able to take trails all the way into NH from there. You could ride an entire weekend and not see everything. All off limits now from what I've heard. Either way, it's a 50 mile drive from where I'm at now. All set with that.

I bought a paramotor after the Polaris sold. Endless trails in the sky, and no cops either. Plus no license or registration needed. (y)(y):cool:

·
Registered
108 Posts
I live in the western part of central MA. When I first moved here 17 years ago, there were quite a few places. Not anymore. Used to be a ton of places just south of Worcester when I was a kid all the way into my 20's. Those are all gone now, too, aside from the railroad tracks and power lines. I always liked being able to hop on the machine and go, right from my house. If I can't do that, then I hang it up, which is what I did.

We used to ride up at Templeton all the time when I was in my early 20's. That place was great! Even back then there would be occasional raids by environmental police looking for unregistered machines. Last time I was there was in '04. It wasn't the same. Lots of places we used to ride were housing developments. I heard not long after that they built several more, and that the sand pit owners barricaded the road we used to go down and park on. That place was great. Used to be able to take trails all the way into NH from there. You could ride an entire weekend and not see everything. All off limits now from what I've heard. Either way, it's a 50 mile drive from where I'm at now. All set with that.

I bought a paramotor after the Polaris sold. Endless trails in the sky, and no cops either. Plus no license or registration needed. (y)(y):cool:
That's too bad. Good ol' liberals and developers in Mass have really destroyed so many things. 30b housing really caused the most problems IMO. Seems like it started when they shutdown Monsterland in Leominster. Then they slowly pushed off road vehicles out of everywhere it seems. Winchendon has or had some great trails too. Templeton was starting to be an issue quite a few years ago. Some nitwits used to run up on to Rt. 2 or across to the other side and that really started to put it in peoples faces. I was out where Rt 2 and 495 crossed. Had a lot of places to ride that probably weren't legal, but nobody usually bothered you.

·
Registered
135 Posts
Oh, and for that bad shoulder... install a Superatv powersteering unit on that 800 and you can steer it with two fingers. Put one one my 06 several years ago and I have to say its the BEST money I ever spent on the machine.
Which kit? SuperATV says they don't have any that fit 06 800s when I asked.

·
Premium Member
7,998 Posts
Which kit? SuperATV says they don't have any that fit 06 800s when I asked.
The sportsman 400, 450, 500, 570, 600, 700, + 800 should all be the same. I put it on my 2011 which is a little different body style but I can't see it not working on the 04.5 and newer sportsman's.

·
9,793 Posts
Hmm... Not sure WHY Superatv has changed their listings of machines it fits?? Kit number PS-P-SPT-380 is the one I put on my 2006 800 and at the time they were listed to fit the 06. In fact, on page #5 of the reviews at the top of the page and dated 7/11/16 is my review of the kit after the install lol. The only thing I would guess is that the steering motor mounts pretty close to the dual exhaust header of the 2006 which may be why they changed the listings. IIRC, in 2008+ machines Polaris stretched the frame a little which probably gives a little more clearance. I simply covered the steering motor with a piece of adhesive backed heat shield matting and have never had any problems at all.
You were probably just talking to a person answering the phone that can only tell you what they see on their computer screen. You can try to get in tough with Travis. He's the man. But I can tell you from experience it will fit.
As I said before... BEST money I ever spent on that old machine!

Polaris Sportsman Power Steering Kit

·
Registered
135 Posts
Weird, maybe they changed it again. I know I check every few months, and especially around Black Friday to see what their deals are.

Hello Sir,

Thank you for the message, however our Sportsman Kit : Polaris Sportsman Power Steering Kit is NOT compatible with your Sportsman as the 2006 is different. As for direct fitment, we would not have anything for your machine at this time. The only thing I can recommend is the Universal Kit, however, you would have to possibly weld your own brackets and configure the wiring according to how you need it to work. Below are those links and instructions so that you can see all that it may entail:
I know I trust @polman500 and @latebird for Polaris fitment, compatibility and repair questions a lot more than a counter jockey, so it was a tad confusing to read.

·
9,793 Posts
Here ya go Thunderbear. You got me curious so I've been doing some research. Apparently the difference in the 06 and 08+ machines is in the configuration of the lower steering post bearing. They are slightly different on the newer machines but still very similar. Here's a link for the same EZsteer kit from The ATV Superstore indicating that the kit WILL fit your machine but that some slight modification is all that's needed. I'd contact them if you're really interested. They even give you a number to call toward the lower part of the page for "more information" on fitment. It is truly awesome the difference it makes.
HEY! Looking for a Polaris Sportsman Power Steering Kit?

21 - 38 of 38 Posts