Polaris ATV Forum banner
1 - 5 of 5 Posts

·
Registered
2 Posts
Discussion Starter · #1 · (Edited)
New to the site and to Polaris but just got a Scrambler 500 4x4 from my brother yesterday that isn't running and trying to get it going. Has been sitting for 6 months but ran great when he parked it. He sprayed some starting fluid in it yesterday and it fired right up but couldn't get it to run on it's own. The fuel valve is in the on position and when the hose is disconected at the shut off it runs out freely. I tried to pull the spark plug out to see if it was wet but couldn't seem to reach it with a socket and guessing there is a special tool for this? I disconnected the hose from the fuel pump and it turned the motor over to see if fuel came out but only a very small amount dripped out. Fuel filter is clean and not plugged up either. I'm guessing something is plugged up in the fuel pump and preventing fuel from reaching the cylinder. Any suggestions or experience with this issue would be greatly appreciated. I did drain the tank and put new fuel in. Any suggestions would be greatly appreciated. Also, how do you adjust the rear spring to be stiffer, seems to set pretty low when i get on it and could definitely be stiffer.

·
Premium Member
20,001 Posts
Welcome to the board!:bee:

·
Registered
6,903 Posts
Carb needs to be cleaned. 6 months time the gas has turned into a mess inside the carb. You could try running seafoam mixed into the gas, but it may be too far gone and it will actually need to be taken off, disassembled, and cleaned. (the carb)

·
Registered
118 Posts
the rear shock can be adjusted pretty easily with a pair of big channel locks or the actual tool from Polaris. just take some of the weight off of the rear swing arm and turn the "nut" that the spring is seated on clockwise if you are looking at it from the top

·
Registered
2 Posts
Discussion Starter · #5 ·
Thanks guys. Sorry for the slow reply but I'm not the best mechanic and it took me a couple days to get it all done. After cleaning the carb I reinstalled and assembled and started right up and runs great. I also adjusted the chain and tried to stiffen the suspension but looks like it has been tightened as much as possible and just needs replaced. I don't weigh a lot (170lbs) and it's fine for me so it's just a good excuse not to haul any passengers with me. Thanks again for the advice!

1 - 5 of 5 Posts