Polaris ATV Forum banner

1 - 8 of 8 Posts

·
Registered
1 Posts
Discussion Starter #1 (Edited)
I recently purchased a 2005 polaris scrambler 500 high output, and have yet to ride it due to problems. it starts up just fine, but as soon as i take the choke off it dies. second of all, when you push the throtttle in, it bogs down and will die if you dont let it out. however, if you slowly ease the throttle in it will go as normal until a certain point and then bog down and die. anybody have any ideas as to what could be wrong and how i can fix it? Thanks.

·
Premium Member
20,001 Posts
Welcome to the board!:med:

·
Registered
1,565 Posts
You need to go a step or two up on the idle jet and probably put the clip on the needle down one groove to richen the mid range. Check to see where the air/fuel screw is set at.(should be 2 1/2 turns out for starters +/- 1/4 turn from there.)

·
Registered
13 Posts
just wondering if that fixed your problem as i have an 04 doing the exact same thing. thanks

·
Registered
962 Posts
I would find out if it sat for any length of time. My wife's 05's carb is very "sensitive". After it sits for a while (2-3 months), it's very tempermental until a few tanks of fuel are run through it...even after being stored with Stabil or Seafoam. You might just have to rebuild the carb to get a good "baseline".

·
Registered
80 Posts
sounds to me the carb needs to be cleaned. had this same issue on a 2 stroke polaris 250. as soon as you hit the gas it fell on its face but idled fine. pulled the bowl off the carb. unscrewed the jets and cleaned with carb cleaner. worked perfictly after that.

1 - 8 of 8 Posts