Polaris ATV Forum banner

2005 Polaris Sportsman 500 HO, need new Electronic Control Unit (aka Sure Power Box)

2K views 22 replies 7 participants last post by  lateburd 
#1 ·
I have a 2005 Polaris Sportsman 500 HO that needs a new Sure Power Box (Electronic Control Unit). The part number is 4011085. Dealer says they cannot get this part any longer. I have checked several places and it is out of stock. I found one place that will rebuild my part, however they cannot get the Mosfet part to repair the fan function. Is anyone aware of any work-around? The dealer is offering to install a manual switch to operate the fan.

#2 ·
Font Line Window Pattern Screenshot
to the forum
Ball Gas Font Vehicle registration plate Automotive lighting

Reactions: AEH
#4 ·
What are the names of the used parts ATV businesses? I am signed up for Power Sports Nation. Unfortunately they don't have my part at this time? I have checked on two ECM on ebay, but both are not the year/part number that I need. I have to have Electronic Control Module part 4011085 for a 2005 Polaris Sportsman 500 HO. Any leads to other used parts dealers will be much appreciated.

#6 ·
Yes, fan control is the defective part. I found a rebuild place, but they cannot get the Mosfet part to rebuild the fan control on the ECM. Repair shop that has our 2005 can install a manual fan control switch. I would rather find a used 4011085 and not have a manual switch though.

#11 ·
Polaris Dealer didn't offer to install a temperature sensor. They offered to hotwire the fan so it runs all the time, or to install a manual switch for the fan.

I watched an old YouTube video on circumventing the SurePower box 4011085 for the 2005 Polaris ATP and the old comments indicate that the part 4011085 has not been available for a couple of years. I doubt I am going to find a used one anywhere. And I doubt the Polaris Dealer is going to want to watch a YouTube video to perform this YouTube work around.

I am not capable of working on this unit myself. I am at the mercy of the Polaris Dealer.

#13 ·
Good luck - Partzilla is a reseller - they will order the part and then when informed by the distributor that it is NLA they will eventually (within a month anyway) issue a refund for the unavailable part.

You can re-engineer the unit with a fuse box, 5 wire rec/reg, change the temp sensor from a thyristor to a switch to turn on the fan and if you want a hot indication, get creative and install a second temperature switch to turn the light on. You may have to install some plumbing to be able to install two thermo sensors or retro fit a radiator with a fan switch port and install the fan switch in the radiator and use the thermo sensor hole in head for a hot lamp switch..

Multi function electronic control units lower production cost and decrease assembly time, but are subject to discontinuation when the vehicle is past it's projected economic life. Over 10 years old it's time to dispose of and replace with a newer more complicated, technologically advanced, higher priced, more costly to maintain, but better vehicle.

#17 ·
Now you know why you should not let an ATV idle for more than a minute.

So your SSCB (Solid State Circuit Breaker/Control Module) has multiple failures. Yes, the vehicle needs to be field modified or parted out and replaced with something you can get parts for.

If you want to make the field modifications I'll make a post when In get time on how to do it.

#20 ·
@msaari9 - I presume you have a Sportsman model and not an ATP model - part 4011085 listed at the beginning of this thread is not for a Sportsman - it is for an ATP model and is NLA.

This thread is for a 2005 Sportsman 500. The CORRECT part number for the control module is 2203348 which was superseded from 4011110.

The part is $150 from Polaris

Save time and money and order the part from your favorite supplier, install it and have fun.

If you have an ATP, let me know. The OP of this thread was ignorant about the part he needed and has now misled others.

#22 ·
@lateburd I do have an ATP. I just heard from a guy that you can use an ECM & harness from a 2005 500 carbureted sportsman and just wire it into the existing harness. Think there's any truth to that? I really don't care if the speedo, lights, or turf mode don't work. I just want the unit to run and the fan to work. If the fan has to run all of the time (w/key on) I could live with that. Is it possible to just eliminate the ECM, or is that going to burn up other things?

#21 ·
The part number you were seeking was not for a Sportsman, but an ATP. The part for the Sportsman is number 2203348 @ $150

You have to look up the right model to get the right part. Your dealer is a dum bass or you don't know what model of Polaris you own.