Polaris ATV Forum banner

1 - 3 of 3 Posts

·
Registered
7 Posts
Discussion Starter #1
I have a 2005 polaris sportsman 500 ho and I just got a new battery. My last one died. I rode it one time, then waited another week, started right up and went about a half a block and it died. I noticed the screen was flickering on and off. When the screen stopped flickering for a sec, I tried starting it and the screen went blank again and wouldn't do anything. This time when the screen went back on I pulled started it and it started right up. I let it idle for several seconds when the screen went blank again and it died. I checked the started solenoid and it doesn't read any volts. Would that be the problem?

·
Registered
5,753 Posts
Sounds like a dead battery. Put a charge on it and then start it and measure voltage at the battery at idle and at about 3000RPM. Should be over 12.5 and under 14.5v DC. Either a drain on it while it sits or the charging system is not working properly.

·
Registered
102 Posts
If same as my 04 It may be the circuit breaker inside those black "Pods" the three inch by 2 inch black hard plastic things under the hood near the radiator cap. Sounds like one is corroded causing you to lose power to your pod shutting the bike off. You can replace them with a 20A Buss circuit breaker from autozone or whatever auto store ya got.

Previous owner replaced the solenoid before checking the pods. The circuit was so rusty no connection was ever going to get power to the bike.

1 - 3 of 3 Posts