Polaris ATV Forum banner

1 - 18 of 18 Posts

·
Registered
4 Posts
Discussion Starter #1
Okay, I am new here and to this forum gig so here goes...
2005 Predator 50. New Coil, New CDI Box, New spark plug, Carb has been cleaned three times now, Compression ranges from 115 to 125 psi depending on kick or electric start. Have confirmed strong and steady spark. Lots of suction on the intake side. Removed reed block, inspected, cleaned and reinstalled. Cannot for the life of me figure out why it will not start. Turns over all day but will not fire. I have sprayed starter fluid into the intake side and the cylinder itself and still no fire. What am I missing here??

·
Premium Member
20,001 Posts
Welcome to the board!:med:

·
Registered
4 Posts
Discussion Starter #4 (Edited)
Piston has never been removed and the machine has operated before very well. It has been sitting for some time but no major mechanical work other than normal maintenance. What do you mean by PM you?

Is it possible that once the spark plug is reinstalled into the cylinder it is lossing its spark?? is there a safety feature that would prevent this things from firing?

·
Banned
2,959 Posts
there are a bunch of safety features. a teather up front a tether in the rear, key, run/stop switch. i sent the manual. let me know if you get it.
Shawn

·
Registered
4 Posts
Discussion Starter #6
Got the manual, thanks! Checked all that u listed excepted the tether in the back? I will have to look into that!

·
Registered
4 Posts
Discussion Starter #8
Okay here's the update...
It's now running like a champ! There was no safety tether on the rear end of the machine. It turned out that the muffler had mud clogged up in the end. Lots of mud! Cleaned the muffler out, reinstalled and what do ya know, it started up and ran as expected! aknawful, thanks for the manual and your time and advice!

·
Registered
10 Posts
UGH!!!!

Been working on this dumb thing for weeks. Saw this and discounted it since we do not ride in mud and I had looked quickly in the tail pipe before. Desperate enough since nothing else seemed to be a problem I decided the look more closely ... found that some bug had built a cocoon in the exhaust pipe (same had happened on our trailer fresh water tank air vent). Used a wire and screw driver to open up the tail pipe ... and the motor fired right up!!!!

Thanks for randomly pointing me in the right direction!!!!

·
Banned
2,959 Posts
UGH!!!!

Been working on this dumb thing for weeks. Saw this and discounted it since we do not ride in mud and I had looked quickly in the tail pipe before. Desperate enough since nothing else seemed to be a problem I decided the look more closely ... found that some bug had built a cocoon in the exhaust pipe (same had happened on our trailer fresh water tank air vent). Used a wire and screw driver to open up the tail pipe ... and the motor fired right up!!!!

Thanks for randomly pointing me in the right direction!!!!
glad to see you got it figured out!

·
Registered
1,097 Posts
Welcome to the forum!

·
Registered
4 Posts
2005 polaris 50cc wont start

Hey everybody how it going?
I started both of my kids 50's up last week they started fine. i took the carb off of one and cleaned it out since it had a issue at idle. cleaned it then installed. went to start it nothing went to start the other quad and nothing. batteries are charged. they wont even kick over. starters sound strong. gas on. changed the spark plug. fuel is flowing. kinda stuck on what to do next. any help will do.
thanks,
John
Email [email protected]

·
Registered
3 Posts
aknawful, any chance you still have the shop manual for the 50 predator? I have an '05 that the starter won't work on. It's not the battery. That much I'm sure of.
Thanks

·
Registered
2 Posts
I have a 50 that we have a new carb new plugs. New battery and it will not run.. sounds like is wants to fire but just wont fire... has fuel. Air and spark

·
Registered
9,519 Posts
I have a 50 that we have a new carb new plugs. New battery and it will not run.. sounds like is wants to fire but just wont fire... has fuel. Air and spark
Any chance you could forward me the manual for the 50 please
What year and model do you have? If unsure, please provide the VIN. First thing I would do is check the compression - low compression on a 2 stroke is usually rings and on a 4 stroke tight valves. But, I believe I have a manual that will guide you - I just need the vehicle info and an email address to send it to - send the email address in a conversation.

Hold your cursor on my avatar and click message to send me your email - also remind me of which manual you need

1 - 18 of 18 Posts