Polaris ATV Forum banner
1 - 6 of 6 Posts

·
Registered
2 Posts
Discussion Starter · #1 ·
Hi,
So I recently noticed that my Polaris leaks gas from the bottom of the carburetor, the overflow drain. I bought a new carburetor and it still leaks. What could be the issue?

·
Premium Member
2008 800 ho efi, 2019 850 SP premium
13,341 Posts
Welcome to the forum.
From the official Forum greater, beware of the imitators.

·
Registered
6 Posts
Hi,
So I recently noticed that my Polaris leaks gas from the bottom of the carburetor, the overflow drain. I bought a new carburetor and it still leaks. What could be the issue?
Hi,
I tore apart my newly purchased (Chinese made) carb on my 2006 Sportsman 450 and it seems to me like the overflow leaks when the needle valve is not seating correctly and fuel continues to enter the carb. It is designed to overflow rather than have it make its way into the cylinders.

I presume that you need to clean or replace your needle valve that is controlled by the floats, replace defective floats, or just bend the floats a touch to adjust them to seat the needle valve if they aren't floating high enough to make it seat.

I hope others chip in and enlighten us if they have ideas or if they notice an error in my deduction of how that works and why the overflow is there.

By the way, after trying to fix my rig for a couple years of poor running, and two Chinese carbs later (which both cost $50 and weren't worth $.50) I put the original carb back on and it runs like a top. Turns out my problem was the handlebar switch.

Bushwacker

·
Super Moderator
15,600 Posts
Take the Chinese POS carb off the machine. Shine and polish it up so its sparkling just like a new penny and then set it up on the shelf as a reminder to never be that gullible again lol.
Then order a needle valve and seat set with o-ring #'s 25 and 26 in the diagram, install them in the OEM carb and go riding. Never look back and try to forget the money and time you wasted on a useless piece of Chinese junk.
The problem you described is often just the 10 cent o-ring under the needle seat that has deteriorated from using alcohol contaminated fuel. I have a bag of 50 in the garage.
The OEM carb you took off and hopefully still have, retails for about $400-$500 and the one you bought is worth.... $0.
Here's a link to a genuine Mikuni needle valve set to repair the original Mikuni carb.
You should probably also get a float bowl gasket #19.
Handwriting Font Art Drawing Monochrome

·
Registered
6 Posts
Take the Chinese POS carb off the machine. Shine and polish it up so its sparkling just like a new penny and then set it up on the shelf as a reminder to never be that gullible again lol.
Then order a needle valve and seat set with o-ring #'s 25 and 26 in the diagram, install them in the OEM carb and go riding. Never look back and try to forget the money and time you wasted on a useless piece of Chinese junk.
The problem you described is often just the 10 cent o-ring under the needle seat that has deteriorated from using alcohol contaminated fuel. I have a bag of 50 in the garage.
The OEM carb you took off and hopefully still have, retails for about $400-$500 and the one you bought is worth.... $0.
Here's a link to a genuine Mikuni needle valve set to repair the original Mikuni carb.
You should probably also get a float bowl gasket #19.
View attachment 169589
LOL.

You are SO right Poleman. I had already taken off the Chinese crap carb and put the original back on once I cut the black line on my CDI box and realized it was one of the several kill options that was preventing my spark.

Both of the Chinese carbs allowed the machine to run and both ran poorly, one leaking from the overflow right out of the box.

BTW, I also purchased a Chinese handlebar switch from Ebay and it turned out to be TOTAL junk.

I AM going to but them up on a shelf and look at them EVERY time I think that the machine needs any parts.

Thanks,

Bushwhacker

·
Super Moderator
15,600 Posts
LOL... Well, in all fairness, I do sometimes use Chinese parts myself as cheaper alternatives to Polaris' often ridiculously priced OEM parts. It is, however, a roll of the dice many times and when doing so you need to only purchase from those venders that have excellent customer ratings and who will replace or refund without hesitation should the part not work or be the wrong one. You can't just buy them willy nilly from the first vender you see. And I, like latebird, NEVER buy through Amazon. They will not step up to protect you or get you any compensation if you have a dispute.
I have learned over the years that there is sometimes no reliable alternatives to OEM. Powersports Nation is a very good source for good used parts with a warranty and at reasonable prices. I do a lot of business with them and have never had any complaints. IIRC, I have only ever gotten one bad part from them and they immediately made it right by sending me another part at no additional cost. No questions asked.

1 - 6 of 6 Posts