Polaris ATV Forum banner

1 - 11 of 11 Posts

·
Registered
5 Posts
Discussion Starter #1
Here is my story, I have picked up a 2005 sportsman 400 with only 488km's on it but when I turn the key to the on position and the service light flashes and then the speedometer needle flashes and the "Hot" and "Check Engine" light flashes. This happens regardless of the engine running or off.

From what I have read I thought it was the ECM recall but i called the dealer with my vin# and found out that it had been replaced already. So next i checked the Fan, hard wired it to a battery and it ran fine.

Before I go any farther and replace the sensor, is there a thread or someone else that has had this issue?

Thanks for the help

·
Registered
839 Posts
i recently had this issue with and atv at work .....we chenged the coolant temp sensor and seemed to cure the problem .....they work based on resistance as it gets hotter the resistance goes down .....one way to test was using boiling water place the sensor in and check the resistance with an ohm meter ....also maybe let it idle for a bit and see if the fan is being told to turn on .....can also indicate a temp sensor problem .....o and its located on left side of the cylinder it looks like a brass coloured nut with a wire in the center hope this may help they arent exactly cheap compared to some vehicles so id recommend a test !!

·
Registered
315 Posts
Try changing the radiator cap. The spring can become weak and cause a over heating situation.

Sent from my iPhone using Tapatalk while drinking a spotted cow

·
Registered
5 Posts
Discussion Starter #4
Thanks for those two suggestions I will try the ohm test and inspect the rad cap vs a new one, again, thanks for the suggestions

·
Registered
839 Posts
howed yah make out ?

·
Registered
5 Posts
Discussion Starter #6
howed yah make out ?
Well I tested the cap and checked the spring and it seemed fine, for the sensor, I started to inspect the wires and when i unplugged the sensor the wires came out of the rubber plug... I played with the ignition and if i turned the key to the on position with the sensor unplugged it immediately flashed "Hot" and "Check Engine" but when i plugged it back in and turned the key it took 10 - 15 seconds to produce the message. Made me wonder if it was attempting to get a read from the sensor but couldn't.

Anyway I realized that i didn't have any extra coolant to fill the rad with so i only loosened the sensor so it's ready to test hopefully this weekend if time permits. Do you know the ohms I should be looking for when i boil it?

I'll keep you posted.

Thanks

·
Registered
226 Posts
a broken wire to the temp sensor will cause this error. if the bike is cold and its just started and the hot comes on its a wiring issue or sensor bike is not over heated

·
Registered
5 Posts
Discussion Starter #8
a broken wire to the temp sensor will cause this error. if the bike is cold and its just started and the hot comes on its a wiring issue or sensor bike is not over heated
I agree, just was going to test the sensor before running out and buying a new one.

Thanks

·
Registered
226 Posts
just a quick check, start your qaud. take plug off sensor does fan start and pod flashes hot? or when u start the bike does fan turn right on?

·
Registered
5 Posts
Discussion Starter #10
just a quick check, start your qaud. take plug off sensor does fan start and pod flashes hot? or when u start the bike does fan turn right on?
Started it, took the plug off and the fan did not turn on but it was flashing hot. When I start the bike the fan is off.

Thanks

·
Registered
226 Posts
i broken wire to the fan will cause hot light flash. the computer looks for a load on the fan side, if resistance is not there. the hot light will come on. with qaud off look for the fan connection at the pdm. ohm them out and make sure no broken hot or ground is going to fan.

1 - 11 of 11 Posts