Polaris ATV Forum banner
1 - 12 of 12 Posts

·
Registered
67 Posts
Discussion Starter · #1 · (Edited)
I have a 2005 Sportsman 400 that has sat up for about a year, in a shipping container. It ran fine before it was neglected. Now it won't start or idle without the choke engaged. Also, it will not rev up at all, it just "misses" and dies if I try to rev it up.

It has ~115 hours on it and has had one servicing at 50 hours per dealer recommendation.

I'm planning on doing a "regular servicing" on it myself, but would anyone recommend anything to check first?

I have cleaned the air filter with gasoline, let it air dry and reinstalled but with no improvement; though it did need cleaning. It is a K&N air filter, not the folded paper type.

Next I thought I would take off the fuel filter and take it to autozone to see if they could replace it. I would also grab a new spark plug while I'm there.

Am I going the wrong direction here?

Thanks for the help!

·
Premium Member
20,001 Posts
Welcome to the board!:xmas:

·
Registered
67 Posts
Discussion Starter · #4 ·
I just remembered that it did backfire a few times back before I stored it up for the long time... should that indicate a need for any specific maintenance.

·
Registered
67 Posts
Discussion Starter · #6 ·
It now occurs to me that I should have taken pics.

Anyway, I've pulled the carb almost completely off. I cleaned the outside of the fuel filter and I can't tell that there is anything in there except for a little bit of gas.

Also, I have both sides of the carb open - where both black hoses connect - one from air filter and other to main block (?). Both of these ports are pristine, with no buildup or gunk or sediment at all. It just looks like clean metal.

I have yet to take apart the carb itself because I am unsure which part I should disassemble to access the "main jet" which was suggested here that I should clean. I have the service manual but the diagram doesn't look exactly like my carb, even though they are both the mikuni bst 34 carb.

So, can anyone describe to me which part to unscrew to access the main jet?

·
Registered
147 Posts
Pull the fuel bowl off the bottom. Get a can of carb cleaner with the little red staw that you can insert into the tip if the spray can nozzle. Take the tip of the straw and insert it into every jet, hole and anything else and spray the crap out of it. The reassemble.

·
Registered
67 Posts
Discussion Starter · #8 ·
Pull the fuel bowl off the bottom. Get a can of carb cleaner with the little red staw that you can insert into the tip if the spray can nozzle. Take the tip of the straw and insert it into every jet, hole and anything else and spray the crap out of it. The reassemble.
That sounds smart. Thank you for your help. I will post updates.

·
Registered
67 Posts
Discussion Starter · #9 ·
I pulled the bowl off and sprayed it out excessively, as well as all holes. There was a little bit of brown "gunk" in the bowl.

After reassembling and putting it all back together I cannot get it to start at all. The battery is dead so I'm using the pull-start. Now, the average temp is ~35 F around here right now, would that stop it from starting via the pull-start?

Before, it would at least start via the pull-start with the choke fully pulled.

·
Registered
2,352 Posts
Did you physically take the pilot jet(smaller one ,next to main jet) out and clean it? Fresh gas?

I remember reading on one of the older threads that on the newer models, they need a battery or some battery voltage for the control module to work ,for it to start. You might try a battery charge or a jumper battery,and use the pull-start. just a guess

·
Registered
67 Posts
Discussion Starter · #11 ·
I followed these instructions - "Pull the fuel bowl off the bottom. Get a can of carb cleaner with the little red staw that you can insert into the tip if the spray can nozzle. Take the tip of the straw and insert it into every jet, hole and anything else and spray the crap out of it. The reassemble."

I did not take any additional things apart.

I have not put in fresh gas. Would that make a difference, since it was running (on full-choke) a week ago on the same gas?

·
Registered
67 Posts
Discussion Starter · #12 ·
Well, I just gave up and had it serviced. The dude said that the needle valve needed to be replaced.

Now that I have it back, it runs fine except when it gets into a bind, like climbing a hill towing a little trailer loaded down, it bogs down. It has never done this before. Is there some adjustment I can make to fix this?

1 - 12 of 12 Posts