Polaris ATV Forum banner

1 - 6 of 6 Posts

·
Registered
18 Posts
Discussion Starter #1
My 2005 Sportsman 500 will start and idle fine. But then when the throttle is applied, and held, it immediately chokes and dies. If I just tap the throttle, it revs then returns to idle. Only when I hold the throttle, even just barely, it dies. I used some gas line antifreeze, but it didn't help. Then I took apart and cleaned the carb, still no help. Any ideas?

·
Registered
18 Posts
Discussion Starter #2
I forgot to add that when I pull on the choke, I can get it to go. That is how I made it off the trail last time, basically using the choke as a throttle.

·
Registered
13 Posts
Mine was having the same problem, I took it to a shop and now it won't run at all. I heard it has something to do with an electrical issue.

·
Registered
665 Posts
Most likely one of the jets in the carb is clogged.

The pilot jet in my 325 (pilot jet engages just above idle and up to about 1/4 throttle) was clogged and had similar symptoms.

There is a diagram here and the pilot/idle jet is called the 'slow jet' in the carburetor.

If you take the carb apart to clean it, make sure that you know how many turns out the air screw is.

Also, if you are in there, it is recommended that you replace the float needle and seat. They are known to start sticking.

carb tuning

I imagine you could run some quality fuel system cleaner through it (like maybe seafoam), but I have never gone that route. THe recommended dosage into the fuel tank (mixed to correct ratio with the amount of fuel that is in the tank) would be an option also, assuming you don't want to take it apart. I have never tried this route.

Good luck.

1 - 6 of 6 Posts