Polaris ATV Forum banner

1 - 8 of 8 Posts

·
Registered
118 Posts
Discussion Starter #1
Hey guys the female splines on my rear differential are stripped, almost smooth. I am wondering how to go about removing them, hopefully without removing the rear differential from the bike. Any help would be great!
IMG_7197.JPG

Thanks, Jake

·
Premium Member
4,025 Posts
I am afraid the whole gearcase has to come out and apart. From what I can tell, the spline part is just the outside of a gear on the inside. Don't think this is going to be a simple fix

·
Registered
1,355 Posts
It's not a diff. It's the inside of the output sprocket.
You'll need both sprockets and silent chain.
Go to 3:30 in this video where you can see the sprockets & chain.
This is why you use chaincase oil or Dexron ATF in this box.
https://youtu.be/rQwkmbqSpvc

Sent from my SM-P605V using Tapatalk

·
10,378 Posts
At a minimum you'll need number 19.
19 3234421 Subasm., Shaft, 59T, Final Output w/Bearings [Incl. 2 of Ref. 18]
20 is the chain and 29 the other sprocket.
You might just find a good used gearcase for the same money on ebay.

·
Registered
1,355 Posts
Never replace just one sprocket in a chain & sprocket set. They wear together so a single new sprocket will have accelerated wear vs a new set

You'll need at least 2x #7, 1x #s 19, 20, & 29. 19 comes with both #18 bearings but not the #7 seals.
I'd replace any seals that can be done while it's out.
Check the shift forks and chain tensioner for wear.
You may also find the reverse chain #49 and sprocket set are worn.

In the end an Evilbay gearcase may be much cheaper than repairing your worn chaincase. eBay search Polaris Sportsman Transmission http://r.ebay.com/hqAHGo
Sent from my SM-P605V using Tapatalk

·
Registered
139 Posts
I would also replace the rear axles at the same time, as they seem to wear rout together. So in my opinion putting sloppy axles back into new rear end gear will wear out the new gear.

·
Registered
118 Posts
Discussion Starter #8 (Edited)
So after a full tear down of the whole rear end, I have the transmission removed and split. I have checked all bearings all fine, seals are all good (going to replace seals anyway). I am now waiting on the the new sprocket to replace. I rather rebuild myself knowing I have a solid rear end then ordering from eBay used. I am replacing 2 of the rear axels and some bushings virtually giving me a new full rear end (including bearings I done a month ago)
IMG_7202-4.JPG

1 - 8 of 8 Posts