Polaris ATV Forum banner

1 - 10 of 10 Posts

·
Registered
4 Posts
Discussion Starter #1
I have a 2005 sportsman 500 Ho I was riding the other day and all of a sudden it just got sluggish and wont run without the choke on. I checked the fuel filter and it is clear thought mabey the fuel pump quit working so I put new diaphrams in it and still is the same. I am puzzled. Any help would be great .

·
Registered
34 Posts
Have you gone through the carb ? Replaced thr plug or airfilter yet? that is were I would start then run a compression test or a air test to see if a valve might of bent or somthing like that. Good luck.

·
Registered
54 Posts
idle jet cloged

about 9 out of ten times its the idle jet has trash in it if it will run with choke on and die with it off. easy fix and prob want to take the tank off and flush it out and make shure you have a inline filter.

·
Premium Member
20,001 Posts
Welcome to the board!

·
Registered
4 Posts
Discussion Starter #5
I haven't gone through the carb yet, that is my next stop. Could it get stuff in the idle jet even with the inline filter in the line? The filter isn't plugged already checked that. How hard is it to get to the idle valve? Thanks for the help.

·
Registered
5 Posts
One trick an "oldtimer" showed me, is to remove air filter and get RPM's up and cover air inlet with the palm of your hand for a few seconds. The high vacuum will sometimes pull dirt or water through the jet.

·
Registered
23 Posts
carb issues

It wouldn't be an idle jet, more like the pilot jet is plugged or pending on how fast your travelling could be the main jet that picked something up inside the fuel bowl. If you did not store the bike properly for winter the old gas inside the fuel bowl sometimes leaves a setiment(green death) and you just happened to pick a piece of it up. I would remove the carb and remove the pilot jet, idle screw and also the main jet and clean it good and also don't forget to blow it out with compressed air just to make sure.

2007 800 sportsman, 30"tires, power commander usb3, k&n filter, head porting, bored throttle body, header and pipe, intake mods, high perf cam, timming key, serious clutching and a crazy frenchman lol.

·
Registered
4 Posts
Discussion Starter #8
carb problem

I tore into my carburator and i found the problem. The E clip on the end of the metering rod had fallen off and the rod was stuck in the main jet. I put it back where it belonged and put the e-clip back on and it runs good.

I do have another question. What would make the battery light come on at higher RPM. I checked the the battery and it is charged up and I checked and it is charging. any help would be great.

·
Premium Member
20,001 Posts
Voltage to high in high revs.??

1 - 10 of 10 Posts