Polaris ATV Forum banner

1 - 20 of 31 Posts

·
Registered
26 Posts
Discussion Starter #1 (Edited)
I was want to know if there is a way to test the ecm. I have a 12 volt draw on the battery with the ecm plugged in with the key on the off position if I unplug this the draw goes away. The bike also has no spark. Any help would be appreciated. And thank you in advanced.

·
Premium Member
20,001 Posts
Welcome to the board!:med:

·
Registered
26 Posts
Discussion Starter #5
I have tested everything that I can. The only thing I can see is there is a 12volt draw with the key off and when I unplug the ecm the draw goes away. So I'm thinking there is a short. What do you guys think.

·
Registered
1,360 Posts
If you think it is bad, I would pull it and take the cover off. Common cause of them failing is water intrusion. If you see corrosion inside it, you know it will need replacing.

Sean

·
Registered
26 Posts
Discussion Starter #8
I pulled the cover off there was no water inside of it nor does it look like there ever was some of the MOSFETs look a little discolored but nothing is defantly smoked. With the stator unplugged it still has a draw so I really think its fried.

·
Registered
5,753 Posts
Everything draws 12v. it's the amperage of the draw that matters. You need to disconnect the battery + lead and put your amp meter inline with the battery + to the + cable and get a reading.

·
Registered
1,360 Posts
Without knowing what the normal current draw is, what is the use of knowing what his is?

Sean

·
Registered
26 Posts
Discussion Starter #16 (Edited)
I did a amperage test there is a 0.0 draw with the key off and it does not change with the ecm unplugged or plugged in. But there is a 11.75 volt draw with no amps. What the hell is going on here. I have no spark but everything else seems to work as far as I can tell.

·
Registered
417 Posts
Sounds like the ecm is looking for a sensor and can't find it. Maybe you have a bad crank angle sensor, that would keep your spark from working.

12 850EPS Short bus edition

·
Registered
417 Posts
Kinda. It sits right above the fly wheel and looks for magnetic pulses for the ecm to give a spark and gas

12 850EPS Short bus edition

1 - 20 of 31 Posts