Polaris ATV Forum banner

2005 sportsman 500ho ecm

11K views 30 replies 7 participants last post by  halidale 
#1 · (Edited)
I was want to know if there is a way to test the ecm. I have a 12 volt draw on the battery with the ecm plugged in with the key on the off position if I unplug this the draw goes away. The bike also has no spark. Any help would be appreciated. And thank you in advanced.

Discussion starter · #5 ·
I have tested everything that I can. The only thing I can see is there is a 12volt draw with the key off and when I unplug the ecm the draw goes away. So I'm thinking there is a short. What do you guys think.

Discussion starter · #8 ·
I pulled the cover off there was no water inside of it nor does it look like there ever was some of the MOSFETs look a little discolored but nothing is defantly smoked. With the stator unplugged it still has a draw so I really think its fried.

Discussion starter · #16 · (Edited)
I did a amperage test there is a 0.0 draw with the key off and it does not change with the ecm unplugged or plugged in. But there is a 11.75 volt draw with no amps. What the hell is going on here. I have no spark but everything else seems to work as far as I can tell.

Discussion starter · #21 ·
OK I'll see if I can find what wires belongs to the pick up coil and see if I can ohm it out. If it does not pan out I will pull the side cover and flywheel off to have a look. Thank you I will let you know more on Friday my next day off these 12 hours shifts make it hard to get shop work done lol

Discussion starter · #28 ·
Well after replacing some of the gm weather pack conecters and was ready to buy a cdi box I put it all back together and I have spark. I'm not sure why but none the less the bike runs great I took it for a 30 mile ride today and managed to find a couple of coyote to shoot in the process. Thanks for all the help guys.

This is an older thread, you may not receive a response, and could be reviving an old thread. Please consider creating a new thread.