Polaris ATV Forum banner

1 - 15 of 15 Posts

·
Registered
20 Posts
Discussion Starter #1 (Edited)
Hey guys, quick thing to ask for a question google could not answer for me..

I have bike listed in topic, i bought the bike stator was pooched, took off recoil cover and rust galore. There was only a clear silicone type rubber on the recoil cover to the motor.

I read in the service manual "reinstall recoil housing using a new gasket. Seal stator wire harness grommet with RTV silicone"

**Problem - When I look on the polaris parts catalog I do not see a gasket for this or part #. **

Could someone confirm if there is a gasket or not on this model bike.

Thanks a lot in advanced, I appreciate anyone's assistance!

**EDIT - totally unrelated question but the guy put a new starter on the bike. I notice an 1/8 inch gap between starter and the motor where its supposed to be pushed in flush/snug. Is there some kind of bushing or piece he lost/messed up?

Thanks again,

·
Registered
20 Posts
Discussion Starter #3
thanks for verifying I will do that.
Now to figure out why there is a gap between starter and engine...

·
Registered
2,412 Posts
there is a rubber O ring on the end of the starter that takes a bit to seat. I bet that's what it is. Undo bolts and make sure its fully seated. Also make sure the bendix is not crooked.

·
Registered
1,370 Posts
there is a rubber O ring on the end of the starter that takes a bit to seat. I bet that's what it is. Undo bolts and make sure its fully seated. Also make sure the bendix is not crooked.
There's a paper gasket between the recoil and motor. If it's not in place the bendix can bottom in the cover of the newer models.

Sent from my SCH-I535 using Tapatalk 2

·
Registered
20 Posts
Discussion Starter #6 (Edited)
So wait there is a paper gasket?

I've got quite the confusion going on in the ole nogin about this ..
Manual says put on new gasket, Polaris parts system doesn't show one or a part # for one.

One reply says no gasket other says yes there is one. Lol

Quite the pickle..

Thanks for the reply regarding starter o-ring.

The bike didn't have as starter bushing (tiny part but pricy at $28) or a thrust washer which I now have both of.
Should stop the rattle by my recoil (bendix bouncing around) I hope!

Hopefully I can figure this out and fix it right.

Thanks for help so far !

·
Registered
1,370 Posts
This is the part I used on my recoil conversion to keep the Bendix from bottoming.
Recoil Housing Gasket Part# 3084933

·
Registered
275 Posts
My 2001 has a gasket between the cover and engine.

·
Registered
20 Posts
Discussion Starter #9
This is the part I used on my recoil conversion to keep the Bendix from bottoming.
Cool, it didn't know until now that 1999-2011 recoils are all basically the same/universal.

I am going to ask polaris dealer to order 3084933 for me, thanks!

·
Registered
1,370 Posts
Cool, it didn't know until now that 1999-2011 recoils are all basically the same/universal.

I am going to ask polaris dealer to order 3084933 for me, thanks!
Bolt and flange patterns are the same so the paper flange gaskets match. The pull handle angle and clocking differs.

·
Registered
1,046 Posts
I just rebuilt the timing gears/chain on my 05 500ho. There is no gasket on the recoil housing, just an RTV sealant.

Mark

·
Registered
1,370 Posts
I just rebuilt the timing gears/chain on my 05 500ho. There is no gasket on the recoil housing, just an RTV sealant.

Mark
Likely why the newer recoil/timing covers are described as "full of corrosion". My timing cover was wet inside when I swapped on the recoil cover. The rtv was not sealing. I've had my gasketed recoil cover off to check... no wet or corrosion. I use gaskets where available.

·
Registered
1,046 Posts
That may be but my recoil was pristine inside after 8 years of mud and water. Use whatever works for you!

Mark

·
Registered
20 Posts
Discussion Starter #15
Thanks for confirm rtv sealant on the 05 model.

I already ordered the gasket from Polaris so I will be using one.
Just gotta pickup clutch rebuild kit from royal tonight and I should be back in business ready for testing my seals in water again

1 - 15 of 15 Posts