Polaris ATV Forum banner

1 - 6 of 6 Posts

·
Registered
57 Posts
Discussion Starter #1
I am a city guy with no mechanical know how and need some help. I am trying to remove carb to clean and need to know the best way. I am stuck on the throttle and choke cable. How and what is the easiest way to disconnect these so I can get the carb out? Thanks for any help!

Brian

·
Registered
54 Posts
ok Brian, you need to get a repair book on your machine. it will show you how it all fits and give you detailed prints. dont sweat it, its not that hard. take a few pics with the camera as you go and you will have something real to look at along with tec drawings that are in the book. its kida hard to tell someone how to remove a carb and cables but prety easy with a book. just dont force things too much unless you are shure its not going to dammage it. when you do get the carb off just make shure you keep it all in one spot and double check it before you put it back togather. the jets and needle are the major parts you will need to clean and check. jets have tinny holes that are bad about geting dirt lodged in them. i use torch tip cleaners with the rough part of the cleaners cut off and then sand the ends nice and smooth with super fine sand paper. you can get them at home depot in the welding section or at a welding supply. or you can buy new jets, I just hate to buy new stuff if i can fix what i have. good luck and if you have a prob just drop a line and someone will be glad to try and help. this is a great site with much info and smart people.

·
Registered
6 Posts
I am a city guy with no mechanical know how and need some help. I am trying to remove carb to clean and need to know the best way. I am stuck on the throttle and choke cable. How and what is the easiest way to disconnect these so I can get the carb out? Thanks for any help!

Brian
Hey guys, new to the forum .I'm in the same situation as Brian (excepting I'm a country folk with some basic knowledge of engines etc.)I recently picked up a '99 500 and am in the process of going over it and was pulling the carb as per instructions in the repair manual.Heres my problem, apparently my atv's carb was upgraded from a bst 34 to bst 40,no big deal i guess, only problem is it doesn't explain how to remove the throttle cable for the bst 40 :thinking:.

1 - 6 of 6 Posts