Polaris ATV Forum banner

1 - 20 of 27 Posts

·
Registered
26 Posts
Discussion Starter #1 (Edited)
Hi everyone,

I have a 2005 Polaris Sporstman 700 EFI.

Issue:
- Lack of power
- engine revs slowly until it finally reaches redline.
- when in any gear, it's gutless

Here's what's been done to my quad to try to fix the issue:
- new spark plugs (old ones were black and one was a little wet)
- new spark plug wires
- checked for codes
- checked voltage on yellow wire on tps sensor (.710 volts with key on)
- checked wiring to tbap (one wire was frayed a little)
HAVE REPLACED TBAP WIRING WITH OTB's WIRING HARNESS AND THERE'S NO DIFFERENCE SO FAR.

This issue seems to have started after the quad was ridden in heavy rain. This was at the end of last summer. Haven't had time to fix it till now.

Any help would be greatly appreciated.

·
Registered
505 Posts
Have u checked the air filter and by the sounds of the plugs your running rich. Maybe you got water in the gas. Im not to familiar with efi so hopefully someone else will chime in to futher assist u.

Sent from my SGH-I337M using Tapatalk

·
Registered
26 Posts
Discussion Starter #3
I've checked my K&N filter. I've even ran it quickly without a filter. Same issue. I've cleaned out the tank and put in new fuel. I've also installed a new airtex fuel pump since I thought that was the issue at first.

·
Registered
26 Posts
Discussion Starter #4
Does anyone know what voltage is supposed to come out of the wires going to the tbap? My harness has a pink, pink with white stripe, purple, and orange wires. I'd like to rule out any broken wires. When I tested these wires for voltage, only two of the wires registered any voltage. The other two had none at all. I'm just wondering if those two wires are broken, or if those two wires are supposed to have 0 volts. This testing was done with the key in the on position.

·
Registered
26 Posts
Discussion Starter #5
I figured something out today. I unplugged the coolant sensor and the bike started running almost perfectly. Going to test the sensor tomorrow.

·
Registered
26 Posts
Discussion Starter #6 (Edited)
Replaced the coolant thermistor and made no difference. Still runs perfectly if I disconnect the plug to this sensor. Does anyone have any ideas?

·
Registered
69 Posts
Is there a possibility there could be an air lock around the sensor location? I have read somewhere that you need to bring the front end of the wheeler up higher than the rear to burp air through the cooling system.
I feel your pain as I have an issue I need to resolve and have not had any responses either.
Good Luck!!

·
Registered
26 Posts
Discussion Starter #9
Is there a possibility there could be an air lock around the sensor location? I have read somewhere that you need to bring the front end of the wheeler up higher than the rear to burp air through the cooling system.
I feel your pain as I have an issue I need to resolve and have not had any responses either.
Good Luck!!

Wouldn't that just cause the machine to overheat?

·
Registered
337 Posts
Have you checked wiring to coil? Coil output? Find the ohm specs for coil and check the primary and secondary coil windings, compare to specs.

·
Registered
26 Posts
Discussion Starter #13
I have checked the fuel pressure. It was at 39 psi.

I will check the coils next. I did put in new spark plug wires and plugs. Runs choppy when temp sensor is plugged in. Idles around 800 rpm or so. Once the sensor is unplugged it goes back to normal idle and runs fine.

·
Registered
337 Posts
Is there one or two wires going to temp sensor? I think a close inspection of the wiring harness leading up to sensor is a good idea. Maybe even back probing the wiring from connector back to ecm connector to check for shorts to ground....or an open wire. Best to start studying a wiring diagram first, and obtain a dvom.

·
Registered
26 Posts
Discussion Starter #15
Checked the wiring already. There's no breaks in it. Checked for resistance in the wiring as well. Checked out ok. What's a DVOM?

·
Registered
337 Posts
Digital Volt Ohm Meter (DVOM)

Do you have a service manual?

Does fan come on when you disconnect temp sensor? It should default to ON.

Two wires to sensor. One is reference voltage (usually 5v) the other is grounded through computer. Since sensor is new no need too check sensor itself. Sensor varies resistance inversely based on temp.

Only other temp sensor ecm uses is tbap.

Double check it and ecm for flash codes.

·
Registered
26 Posts
Discussion Starter #17
There were tbap codes until I installed the OTB harness. There's no more codes.

I did check the old temp sensor and it did work according to the service manual test. I got the manual after I replaced the sensor.

I can't remember if the fan turns on or not when the temp sensor plug is pulled. I'll check later today.

·
Registered
337 Posts
Does anyone know what voltage is supposed to come out of the wires going to the tbap? My harness has a pink, pink with white stripe, purple, and orange wires. I'd like to rule out any broken wires. When I tested these wires for voltage, only two of the wires registered any voltage. The other two had none at all. I'm just wondering if those two wires are broken, or if those two wires are supposed to have 0 volts. This testing was done with the key in the on position.
Really need to consult chapters 4&10 I think of repair manual for this. One wire is ground another is 5v reference, the other two are for signals for temp and baro pressure back to computer. Without consulting manual I cannot say which is which.

·
Registered
26 Posts
Discussion Starter #20
Dealer seems to think it's the fuel injectors. Anyone know of a cross reference number for those? They're about $225 a piece up here.

1 - 20 of 27 Posts