Polaris ATV Forum banner

1 - 11 of 11 Posts

·
Registered
1 Posts
Discussion Starter #1
Hi, just joined here. I have a 2005 700 EFI sportsman and a few months back i got it stuck in the river mud. In the process of getting it unstuck i managed to break BOTH front cv shafts, and i think i broke something inside the front diff. I changed the cv shafts and I first noticed something was wrong with the diff when i went to back it off my ramps in 2 wheel drive the front wheels didnt wanna freewheel they were binding and locking up on the ramp. When i jack it up and try spinning the wheels one time in 2 wheel drive it will spin all 4 wheels, then the next time only the backs. Other times it will only spin 3 wheels. Im at a loss, i am mechanically inclined as i work on cars and trucks for a living, but i don't know much about fixing ATV's. How hard is it to pull the diff out, and what would i be looking for when i get in there? Thanks in advance!

·
Premium Member
20,001 Posts
Welcome to the board!

·
Registered
9 Posts
I am having same problem have not been able to figure it out yet so if you come up with aq solution let me know. If you are mechanically inclined the front gearcase is easy to pull and dtake apart. What you will probably find is a broken cage and maybe a damaged armature plate that is what I am goingto try Rumor has it that john deere parts can be substituted for polaris factory parts at a very reduced cost. john Deere uses the same hillirad drive on the gator. Trying to get part numbers now when I do I will pass them along Dirty Ern

·
Registered
603 Posts
I just tried looking up the John Deere parts for the gator and it looks like JD has an open front diff. with a hypoid gear, nothing like polaris..

1 - 11 of 11 Posts