Polaris ATV Forum banner

1 - 20 of 26 Posts

·
Registered
12 Posts
Discussion Starter #1
Hi all, not new but it's been a while since I was here. Just purchased a 2005 700 and found that when I fill the radiator it will steam obout 1 pint out when it warms up. Looks to be coming from the radiator. While looking I find I have some special radiator that is $400. #1240148. Why so expensive? Thanks for the help.

·
9,843 Posts
Is it not going into the recover bottle #18?
If not, check to see if the little hose running from your radiator filler neck to the bottle is loose or broken. The only way it should push any coolant out is through the vent hole in the lid of the recovery bottle. If its doing that then you have a whole other issue.

·
Registered
12 Posts
Discussion Starter #3
It does not push anything over the cap. Interesting enough the engine does not run hot. Once it pushes out that amount, in mist form, from the mid radiator, it functions properly. Fan comes on, runs for a bit then goes off. No overtemp light.

·
9,843 Posts
Sounds to me like you've got a hole rubbed in the recover bottle line.
Does the level in the bottle come up as the machine gets warm? It should... Then it should go back down as the machine and the excess coolant goes back into the radiator.

·
Registered
12 Posts
Discussion Starter #5
The fluid does not go into the bottle I only get a fog coming up out of the radiator compartment. It also does not draw anything back into the radiator as it cools down that's why I'm assuming I have a hole in the top of my radiator somewhere very small. I was looking at aftermarket radiators online and you can get a lot of them for under $100 but it seems like the model I have is $400 that' puzzles me.

·
Registered
6,561 Posts
Have the radiator pressure tested - if it's not leaking, replace the hose between the filler neck and the coolant recovery reservoir.

·
9,843 Posts
You're making a VERY expensive assumption there.
I suspect about $2-$3 worth of 1/4" ID hose will fix it... Or it may be that the hose has just come loose from the radiator fill neck and needs plugged back on and it will cost nothing to fix!!
BUT, the ONLY way you can really know is to take the front storage box off and actually LOOK at where the leak is coming from!! It only takes about 10 minutes to get the box off. It has 4 bolts and 8 little screws and the whole thing (lid and all) will set right off on the ground. Only THEN can you see what's wrong. Anything short of that is just guessing.

·
Premium Member
8,102 Posts
test the system and the cap. before you buy anything. fyi you can get HIGH quality billet aluminum radiators for $150-$200. I wouldn't replace the rad with oem!!

·
Registered
12 Posts
Discussion Starter #9
Thanks guy for all the advice. Will be taking the entire front box off Monday. I will post on what I find.

·
Registered
12 Posts
Discussion Starter #10
Well here's the update. Not only is the radiator leaking, the head gasket is also leaking. Looks like I'm going to take a bath on this purchase! Not good!

·
Registered
12 Posts
Discussion Starter #11
Now back to my original question, anyone know radiator that will work on my 2005 polaris 700 that is not $400?

·
Premium Member
8,102 Posts

·
Registered
12 Posts
Discussion Starter #16
EFI or carbed model?
this is what I have bought in the past solved all my over heating issues, well that and not treating my wheeler like its a submarine. (24814) New All Aluminum High Performance Radiator for Polaris Sportsman 700 & 800 1240190
Thanks. I keep looking at the OEM model# on the ones for sale and they are all different from mine. I hate to buy something the is not right. My polaris # is 1240148. I have sent a message to see if this will fit my machine.

·
9,843 Posts
Not sure where you got that number but its not showing as good in Polaris parts catalog.
The radiator part number for a 2005 Sportsman 700 EFI is 1240190

·
9,843 Posts
I use the part number for most all parts searches after getting the number from Polaris. That usually avoids mistakes.

·
9,843 Posts
I don't know what else to tell you??
The very first add in the ebay results I posted specifically says its for a 2005 Sportsman 700 efi if you scroll down and look at the fitment.

1 - 20 of 26 Posts