Polaris ATV Forum banner

1 - 19 of 19 Posts

·
Registered
22 Posts
Discussion Starter #1
ok my buddy brought his quad over it had no 4x4, we drined the fluid in the front diff, only to get about an once of oil and half a cup of mud,we than ripped the diff out tore it down found the plastic cage was broke into a millon parts, replaced the cage bearings seals, put it back together, before re installing it we plugged it in, now my question is will it engage sitting on the front of the quad or do the rear wheels have to be spinning to engage it, cause right now if you spin the input shaft by hand it does not engage, checked everything all seems to be good 11 volts at the plug,about 23 ohms on the magnet, just wondering were to go next thanks.

·
Registered
103 Posts
You should be able to hear or feel the magnet engage. If u spin the input shaft (pinion) both axles should turn, disengaged they should not.

·
Registered
22 Posts
Discussion Starter #4
with the case apart, and plugged in with 4x4 turned on the magnet holds the plate, but you can still turn it almost like there is not enough hold on the plate, took the case to 2 pokaris dealers one says it is fine nothing worng and one says there is not enough ohms, not to sure what to think

·
Registered
22 Posts
Discussion Starter #6
yup talked to my buddy about it, we are going to throw it in, only takes about 20 minutes to get her back out and see what happens.

·
Registered
919 Posts
On Polaris's AWD system, the front diff won't engage unless the rear wheels are turning. Simply put, the speedo controls engagement by measuring the differential speed between the front and rear axles. If the rear spins faster than the front AND does it for 20% of a rotation, then the front engages. That's the primary difference between AWD and 4WD.

Stew

·
Registered
22 Posts
Discussion Starter #9
yeah that makes scence akstew cause the armature plate has to spin the roller cage so far before it pushes the rollers down far enough to grab everything, my buddy took the entire diff to polaris and they ended up desciding it was the magnet was shot, so need less to say another 450$ and we should have it all back up and running, thanks everyone for all the advise.

·
Registered
919 Posts
Ouch!

·
Registered
22 Posts
Discussion Starter #11
yeah so whatever you do dont wreck the front 4x4 lol

rollers-100$
roller cage-250$
all new bearings-120$
seal kit-100$
and now a new magnet 450$

almost think he should have bought a whole new diff lol and thats all pure polaris.

·
Registered
22 Posts
Discussion Starter #13
ok everyone please help, we have replaced the cage,bearings seals armature plate and magnet, when you put it in reverse and hold the button all 4 wheels spin, when you put it in forward, the left front tire spins, but you can grab the wheel and stop it, any ideas me and my buddy are really going crazy trying to figure it out.

·
Registered
4,243 Posts
If it works in reverse it should work in forward, is 4x4 icon lit up on speedo?is there 12 volts going to wires at front diff? You can bench test these, Ive done it with a battery charger.Im thinking its in the electronics on the machine, speedo?

·
Registered
22 Posts
Discussion Starter #15
yup got 12 volts in forward with the 4x4on just the same as when in reverse holding the override button, speedo works, only thing i am wondering is if there is not enough oil in the diff if that would cause it not to work in 4x4 forward ??? it is just really confuzing me as like i said it sort of engages but it is like the roller cage is not grabing the hubs enough in forward i dont know :motz:

·
Registered
4,243 Posts
Did you replace all the H springs with the cage? Did you make.sure all the rollers were smooth, no nics ect, how low on oil is it? did you use Polaris demand drive fluid?

·
Registered
22 Posts
Discussion Starter #17
H springs came with the new cage, rollers were good, put the polaris on demand oil in it as recommended by polaris, as far as how much is in it there is roughly 200ml in it we filled it before installing it, i have ready some place that there should be 250 ml, and also read some people just fill the diff till it wont fill no more ??? i just want this thing fixed and out of my shop so i can move on to my mods on my quad :unknw:

·
Registered
4,243 Posts
I fill em till it runs out fill hole, I dont think thats the problem though, must be something in the diff if electric is good.

1 - 19 of 19 Posts