Polaris ATV Forum banner

1 - 5 of 5 Posts

·
Registered
4 Posts
Discussion Starter #1
Hi,

I'm new to this forum and joined to get some information on my new purchase. I picked up a 2005 Sportsman 800 EFI recently with 160 miles on it. It doesn't even have any dirt on it yet! Anyway, I noticed that the rear brake pedal was kind of soft, so I attempted to bleed the brake with a vacuum bleeder. I did get it to pump up harder than it was, but if I apply pressure to the brake pedal and hold it, I can feel it drifting to the floor. I am assuming I have some air in the line, but can't seem to make any headway. I also noticed while trying to bleed it that there are two bleeder screws on the caliper. I am assuming the one closest to the line for the rear brake pedal is for that line and the other is for the front hand grip. Unfortunately, because of the placement of the brake lines on the caliper it was impossible for me to loosen the bleeder screw closest to the brake line from the front lever. Any tips on how to do this? Should I invest in the service manual? Any thoughts on whether or not the rear master cylinder could be the problem? Thanks in advance for any information you can offer.

·
Registered
6 Posts
sounds like the rear master cylinder is internaly bypassing the seals on cars the pedal drifting down while holding it most of the time its the master cylinder that is the cause

·
Premium Member
20,001 Posts
Welcome to the board!

·
Registered
8 Posts
slightly loosen the big line in the way and move it just slightly re-tighten it I use a very small closed in 1/4 inch wrench like for distributer work to loosen it, (use a 6 point wrench)
you have to bleed both the inside is for rear brake outside front (on handlebar) master cylinder
also don't just suck fluid through it (with vacuum pump) after doing this pump it up and crack the bleeder loose to get pressure
rear reservoir is under seat

·
Registered
1 Posts
Hi i have a '07 sportsman 500 efi and the hand master cylinder is by passing and i need just a small cup style seal, but Polaris only sells a kit that is around $150, does anyone know where i could get these seals i have looked all over locally and can not get a seal like that anywhere.

1 - 5 of 5 Posts