Polaris ATV Forum banner

1 - 5 of 5 Posts

·
Registered
6 Posts
Discussion Starter #1
HI,
I just picked up a 2005 400 Sportsman and the high beam headlight wont work.
Put a new bulb in, nothing.
Put a test light on the conections and no power there.
Lows work.

Any ideas?
Thanks
Ryan

·
Registered
143 Posts
start at the switch and see if you've got power coming out to the high beams, if not, then you have a bad switch most likely. But if you have power coming out of the switch, you may have a broken wire somewhere in the middle.

·
Registered
7,464 Posts
I too would recommend checking highbeam output power at the switch. Likely it will be as simple as removing, disassembling and cleaning the internal switch contacts. Be very careful pulling the switch apart, as you don't want to loose any parts, springs, ect. Clean up the contacts lightly with a little scotch brite or 0000 steel wool. Then apply a thin coat of dielectric grease to the contacts with your finger. My guess is this will fix your problem..... if not trace the wire to the high beam/pod for breaks or jacket wear and grounding/shorts. As by the lows working we know you have power to the switch.

·
Registered
1,891 Posts
Get a can of DeOxit contact\switch cleaner....it cleans and lubes...A must have item to clean all electrical contacts and plugs and connection on our machines....in your case just put the nozzle on the can..crack open the switch a bit..spray inside..work switch...I have done it a few times on my suzuki like that and problem solved...less chance of losing the small springs and contact bars...if it dont work for you..then you have to go in and operate on it..lol...but first check power in and out

·
Super Moderator
7,054 Posts
I would suspect a broken wire. Have the same problem with the wife's 500. The wire broke in a very difficult spot to reach, or try to splice together. It was in a position that it rubbed whenever the bars were turned, and eventually the wire gave up and broke. Look under the headlight pod around the steering stem area for a broken wire.

1 - 5 of 5 Posts