Polaris ATV Forum banner

1 - 8 of 8 Posts

·
Registered
3 Posts
Discussion Starter #1
So when I go to start it, it will start up after letting it sit on the battery charger but I have to have the gas down in order to keep it running. I've messed with the idle control both left and right and neither way seems to hold it at the right rpm's to keep it from dying on me.

Also it's probably been sitting for maybe a year since its last good run so it may have other problems.

·
Registered
4,629 Posts
I don't see a model listed, so I am guessing you have a carburated model that sat for a year. Guessing you pilot jet is gummed. You can try and run some seafoam through it and see if it gets better or clean your carb.

Rather be riding, instead I'm using Tapatalk

·
Registered
3 Posts
Discussion Starter #3
I don't see a model listed, so I am guessing you have a carburated model that sat for a year. Guessing you pilot jet is gummed. You can try and run some seafoam through it and see if it gets better or clean your carb.

Rather be riding, instead I'm using Tapatalk
Carburated model is the H.O version right? And seafoam is a cleaner? Also do you know of a link to take out the carb to clean it?

·
Registered
13 Posts
Similar Problem

I am having a similar problem with my 09' 500HO. I bought it at a Polaris dealership and its still under the 30 day warranty but I don't want to drive an hour back for something simple. I don't know how long they had it before I bought it. I managed to adjust the idle and check the TPS but it still doesnt idle high enough. It went from bouncing around 1000 to about 1090-1110rpms but still not high enough. I drained the fuel and put Non Ethyanol 91 octane in with a can of SeaFoam. It runs great under power but going downhill it did stall on me once. I am hoping the seafoam does the job along with the new gas. Carb removal does not look like a fun job on it!

·
Registered
3 Posts
Discussion Starter #5
Ok so I sound dumb but where is the drainage for the fuel at? I've looked through some of the manual and found nothing

·
Registered
13 Posts
Pinch the fuel line with a pair of vise grips and pull it off the carb.

·
Registered
398 Posts
The fuel drain on the carb will be underneath, you can see it from the left side (not the shifter side). It's a little nipple that you can get a hose on with some effort - it's not a big space in there. I used an airline from an old aquarium we had years ago. There is a allen wrench fitting pointing at you and as you loosen that the carb will drain.

Turn off the fuel from the gas tank at the shutoff. Drain out 16 oz or so, and let that sit a few minutes. if you have water in the bottom, might as well drain out your lines and everything.

I did that and the machine ran much better. This time of year the temps, etc. I dont know how to link the thread but I had similar issues and this helped tremendously. Some seafoam through the fresh tank and I have been satisfied with it.

·
Registered
4,629 Posts
Carbureted model is the H.O version right? And seafoam is a cleaner? Also do you know of a link to take out the carb to clean it?
Not necessarily. There are HO carbed and HO EFI but I don't think the HO EFI came out until 2008 now that I am thinking about it.

Anyway, if you haven't already done so, change the gas out. Use a siphon to drain the tank if you can't find the drain screw.

Seafoam is a fuel cleaner/stabilizer. I would add 3 oz per gallon of fuel at first. It's made from petroleum so there is no such thing as using too much, but there is a limit to what it will do.

1 - 8 of 8 Posts