Polaris ATV Forum banner

1 - 9 of 9 Posts

·
Registered
5 Posts
Discussion Starter #1
hello, I just purchased a New to me 2005 Polaris trailblazer 250. it fired right up for the test drive, I got it home and it cranked fine, but wouldn't fire up. I bought a New battery and she fired right up and purred like a kitten. It was loaded and Hauled to a different location (20 minute trip) and would only make a Clicking sound from the Solenoid after it arrived. when Cycling the key a few times it seemed like it would go into a protect mode and cut all power for a minute. This process could be repeated multiple times with the same results. After watching a Youtube video and doing some Troubleshooting, i replaced the Solenoid, now I have nothing, im looking for a Schematic i can follow or a kick in the rear please! Anyone assist in troubleshooting or interested in buying a Dead 2005 Trailblazer???

·
Registered
9,163 Posts
You have to come to me for the kick - if lost all power when you installed the new solenoid, make sure the chassis power wire is on the battery side of the solenoid and not on the starter motor side.

·
Registered
5 Posts
Discussion Starter #3
I cannot believe I had those backwards! Now I have power back to the key, and all I have a clicking from the solenoid when Turing the key. I do have a pull start as well, but I think I need a new recoil assembly as it doesn’t seem to engage anything when pulled. No noise from the starter at all. When I jump the solenoid I Just get sparks and when I apply 12V directly to the starter I get sparks as well. I believe the Starter is bad. Am I correct in thinking that? From the YouTube videos I watched, it doesn’t look like the most straightforward job. If I replace the recoil assembly even if the starter is bad will it run?

You have to come to me for the kick - if lost all power when you installed the new solenoid, make sure the chassis power wire is on the battery side of the solenoid and not on the starter motor side.

View attachment 141542

·
Registered
9,163 Posts
The starter motor needs replaced and the recoil needs repaired, but that does not mean it will run after the repairs.

If it were mine, I'd fix the recoil first (it is the cheapest to repair) and then tackle the starting/running issue - when it's running acceptably, then fix the electric starter.

·
Registered
5 Posts
Discussion Starter #5
i appreciate all your info, thank you very much. I’m gonna work on getting he recoil working and go from there. I really just want to get the kids out of the house and Ride!

The starter motor needs replaced and the recoil needs repaired, but that does not mean it will run after the repairs.

If it were mine, I'd fix the recoil first (it is the cheapest to repair) and then tackle the starting/running issue - when it's running acceptably, then fix the electric starter.

·
Registered
5 Posts
Discussion Starter #6
So, I tore into it found that two of the starter bolts were loose and one lodged between the flywheel and bendix gear. After bolting the starter back up properly she lives! I believe someone had it torn apart not very long ago and forgot to put those bolts back in.

·
Registered
9,163 Posts
Problems created by someone else are the hardest to find but the easiest ti fix (in most cases - there are always exceptions)

·
Registered
5 Posts
Discussion Starter #8
Ok, back so soon..... I finished putting it all together tonight, fires right up purrs like a kitten, idles beautifully. Whenever I put it in gear you have to force it and then it grinds and stalls. When you start it in drive or reverse it creeps forward(or reverse fending on what gear your in) it will start and is drive-able in both gears when started in the desired gear. Is there anything I could’ve done with the recoil starter when I put it back together to cause this? That is the only thing I tore into besides the battery, solenoid and miscellaneous electrical connections that needed to be tightened and cleaned up

·
Registered
9,163 Posts
No - I kinda think the problem is the idle is too high or the clutches need serviced

1 - 9 of 9 Posts