Polaris ATV Forum banner

1 - 7 of 7 Posts

·
Registered
1 Posts
Discussion Starter #1
Working on a well-worn 05 model. It runs good, but looks terrible.
Lately the engine will quit at times when being ridden. It's like the kill switch or ignition key is turned off, but it isn't. Sometimes it will restart right away, sometimes it has to be left alone for a while. One time when I was riding it, it backfired super loud, then the engine turned off. I was able to pull start it after a few minutes. Initially, I thought it was the kill switch being bad, but it's quit again even after I tested it. This last time, it was running fine until it shut down again, and I could not restart it. (starter is bad, have to use recoil start)
I've checked wiring, and don't see anything obvious that could cause the ignition to cut out. Anyone have ideas?

·
Premium Member
20,001 Posts
Welcome to the board!

·
Registered
84 Posts
Im having the same problem now with a 2005 trail boss. It will run for an hour fine then stall, sometimes it fires right up other times you have to wait a few minutes. But like you said its like you hit the kill switch, does nothing. I replaced the ignition switch hoping that was the problem, but its not.

Thanks

·
Registered
84 Posts
i pulled the wire loom off the main harness and found the kill switch wire that comes from the left side of the bars was knicked right where it goes into main harness. I repaired and its been fine ever since. Start it up and start moving the wiring harness around see if it dies out, that's how I ended up tracing it.

·
Registered
2 Posts
Thanks for the tip. I just found the very same thing! I looks like the wire from the kill switch, which moves with the handle bars, rubs on the plastic loom. Your post saved me days of work and $$ I would have spent replacing various electrical parts. Thank you! Thank you!! Thank you!!!

1 - 7 of 7 Posts