Polaris ATV Forum banner
1 - 4 of 4 Posts

·
Registered
6 Posts
Discussion Starter · #1 ·
I have an opportunity for a private trade my 2005 Sportsman 400 for a 2005 Sportsman 700. Basic specs of the machines are as follows:

05 - 400:
- 225 hrs / 1,400+ miles
- factory Warn winch
- carb

05 - 700:
- 2,000+ miles / hrs ??
- no winch
- EFI

I have proposed to merely swap rubber as I have a new set of tires with under 50 miles on them that I bought this past spring and I am confident the tires will swap out without any issues.

I haven't yet seen the 700 but my 400 is in good condition. The proposed trade offer was my 05 400 plus $700 cash. Without seeing the 700 and assuming condition is relatively similar to mine, I thought this sounded like a fair offer.

Any input ??

·
Registered
2,352 Posts
I wonder what else it needs besides tires.
It's up to you.
If the 425 is lacking in the power department for you. You can do some carburation and clutch work on it for cheap and get it to do what you want.
I don't think the 700 is a gas sipper

·
Registered
275 Posts
Have heard a few stories of the twin having weak rod bearings. The wheels and tires should swap out. There is one ignition that gives problems on the 700, will cost around 450 for the repair parts. Please don't quote me but do some searching. I think its the Decotti system that is the bad one.
Will admit after riding my 400 and than climbing on my son in laws 700....it was a big difference in power. I do not believe any amount of clutch and carb work would bring the 400 to match the 700. Mine with the QSC clutch and rebuilding my carb has made a nice difference from stock to the better.

·
Registered
7,464 Posts
I'd be very leery of this deal..... why on earth (no matter what the excuse or reasoning) would someone want to trade down (no offense) from a 700 twin to a 400 single? :dunno: Smells a little fishy to me!!

If you decide to take a look.....Be sure to check and double check the AWD system, Axles/CV joints and overall condition are in good working order!

As for power my wife's 400 (425) doesn't hold a candle to my 800's (760) sheer brute force (I've heard the 700's and 800's are fairly close in power "feeling"). I don't care how much carb and clutch work you do..... but yet on the trails (for the sane minded / family oriented rider) it keeps up just fine! But as stated.... I'm sure a little carb and clutch work would get some more power out of it and to the ground!

1 - 4 of 4 Posts