Polaris ATV Forum banner

1 - 10 of 10 Posts

·
Registered
7 Posts
Discussion Starter #1
I just replaced the key switch and now when I turn the key the motor starts but when I let go it and the key goes back into run position the key is not energized and kills the motor? what am I missing?
Please help

·
Premium Member
3,609 Posts
Probably a bad switch. No matter where you got it, new doesn't always mean good. It happens sometimes.

·
Registered
7 Posts
Discussion Starter #3
I just ordered another one just like you said you never know? seems like it is more though. When I bought it the previous owner had used a screwdriver to start it by turning it and then pull starting it. I put the new key switch on it and it started right away but when the spring pulled the key back to the on position ...
no power and the display went ff etc..?

·
Registered
5,020 Posts
You need to check to see if you loose power on the red/blk wire when the key returns to the 'on' position - loss of power means faulty switch.

·
Registered
7 Posts
Discussion Starter #5
OkAY I did and you are right, I think ? When I turn the key it starts and if I jiggle the wires to the key switch it keeps running and if I jiggle it again it turns off. I think it is in the male plug going into the new switch ? where can I get a new male plug like that? Thanks to you guys we have some progress and still on the hunt for the loose wire?

·
Registered
7 Posts
Discussion Starter #6
Okay also I have found several pigtails harnesses with a 6 pin connector but I only have four wires going into mine? I'm confused about that as well

·
Registered
7 Posts
Discussion Starter #9
Okay, I found out that the 6 position harness was just too wallowed out to make a secure connection to the new switch, so I ordered an new harness and will rewire it when it arrives to see if it will repair it. Thank you everyone for the help I truly appreciate it!!!!

·
Premium Member
3,609 Posts
Okay, I found out that the 6 position harness was just too wallowed out to make a secure connection to the new switch, so I ordered an new harness and will rewire it when it arrives to see if it will repair it. Thank you everyone for the help I truly appreciate it!!!!
You my friend are a glutton for punishment! To rewire the entire bike is gonna be a big job. It is the correct way to do it I suppose since the machine is almost 20 years old. I found a used harness and stole the plug I needed for a headlight. Still have the rest of it laying around the shop.

1 - 10 of 10 Posts