Polaris ATV Forum banner
1 - 6 of 6 Posts

·
Registered
2 Posts
Discussion Starter · #1 ·
I recently puchased a 2006 450 ho sportsman. it runs great nice and smooth but i noticed when in reverse it will runs fine on flat ground ..when on a very slight incline and backing up it sputters a little and i can smell a bit of gas...and i noticed today when i tried to turn around i Had to back up a pretty steep bank a bit and it was total sputter ..run ..stop run stop run stop ..at about half second intervals and freaky consistant ..it just wouldnt go anywhere just rocked back and forth ...but forward low and high is great ...no misses incline or flat.:ponder:

but i noticed if i pushed my overide button it got better ...

any ideas on this wierdness?

thanks

·
Registered
1,097 Posts
First of all, Welcome to the forum! Sounds like it is operating as designed. When in reverse power is reduced for safety. The overide is there to return to full power when needed. If you haven't noticed yet 4 wheel drive will not work in reverse unless you push the overide button too. They did that to help keep you from throwing yourself over the handlebars if you were to nail it in reverse thinking that it was in forward. Buddy

·
Registered
1,048 Posts
Buddy_1 beat me to it......

That's what it's supposed to do. Prevents you from inadvertently flipping the machine over if you give 'er in reverse. It will also disengage 4wd. There are ways around this if you need full power and 4wd in reverse. Just do a search for Reverse Over-ride Mod.

Mark

·
Registered
2 Posts
Discussion Starter · #4 ·
any chance its doing its job too well? the "slight incline" where it sputters in reverse some is backing it out of my shop ...that drive way is inclined just enough that a car might roll down it on its own if you got it rolling good first.

the smelling gas when it sputterd comming out of the shop made me think it was more than the limiter...of course the choke may have still been on a bit and could have caused some flooding i guess when it tried to "limit" it a bit.?

·
Registered
1,097 Posts
The limiter kills spark not fuel, so you probably will smell some when in reverse.

1 - 6 of 6 Posts