Polaris ATV Forum banner
1 - 6 of 6 Posts

·
Registered
112 Posts
Discussion Starter · #1 ·
I guess I must have a case of Polaris fever lately as I just purchased a mint 07 Hawkeye for a decent price then a few days after buying that, a 450 sportsman was offered to me for a price I couldn't say no to. It seems to run very well but needs a few things fixed. Electric start currently does not work....starts right up with pull starter. Also need wheel bearings. The brakes were just done by the previous owner. Plan on changing the belt and all fluids one I get the starter figured out and wheel bearings changed. Anything else I should be looking at? It has about 400 hours on it. I'm looking forward to some quality time in the garage with this beast. It could use better tires also. Can the starter be removed from the top if I remove the airbox?

·
Registered
4,629 Posts
Yes on the starter removal from above. There is one bolt that is tough to get at because of the belt housing though.

I'd run through the steering and suspension with a fine toothed comb. If the wheel bearings are shot other suspension parts might be getting sloppy.

As for tires, good luck lol. There are so many good options out there!

Rather be riding, instead I'm using Tapatalk

·
Registered
112 Posts
Discussion Starter · #3 ·
Yes on the starter removal from above. There is one bolt that is tough to get at because of the belt housing though.

I'd run through the steering and suspension with a fine toothed comb. If the wheel bearings are shot other suspension parts might be getting sloppy.

As for tires, good luck lol. There are so many good options out there!

Thanks for the advice.......hey I just noticed your a fellow Rhode Islander....the land where there is literally no legal riding........

·
Registered
4,629 Posts
Ha, I missed that bec I'm on tapatalk and it doesn't show locations. Yeah RI really sucks for riding...and many other things! But it's where my family is so I bought a nice trailer and spend my money in NH and ME :yup:

Have a few miles of trails in the back yard for when I need a quick fix fortunately :D

·
Registered
112 Posts
Discussion Starter · #5 ·
Ha, I missed that bec I'm on tapatalk and it doesn't show locations. Yeah RI really sucks for riding...and many other things! But it's where my family is so I bought a nice trailer and spend my money in NH and ME :yup:

Have a few miles of trails in the back yard for when I need a quick fix fortunately :D

Yes.......a big 10-4 on RI sucking. I should have moved to Florida when I had the opportunity. I've got a small area to ride behind my house also. Whereabouts in RI are you? I'm in Foster. I was thinking about getting a trailer also and heading to Little Manadnok in NH. I hear Maine is also very ATV friendly.

·
Registered
4,629 Posts

Yes.......a big 10-4 on RI sucking. I should have moved to Florida when I had the opportunity. I've got a small area to ride behind my house also. Whereabouts in RI are you? I'm in Foster. I was thinking about getting a trailer also and heading to Little Manadnok in NH. I hear Maine is also very ATV friendly.

I'm up in N Smithfield.

I've ridden LMFT quite a bit. They're trying to do some things there that turn me off though, like require a trail pass. I don't mind kicking the club a few bucks, but $80 to register in NH already hurts and now you want me to sign up and get a pass in addition to all the fees? I can go ride better trails up at Claremont without the hassle, it's just an extra 2 hours in the truck.

Pisgah is nice bec it attaches to the tri-state club trails. With that you get all different types of terrains.

1 - 6 of 6 Posts