Polaris ATV Forum banner

1 - 15 of 15 Posts

·
Registered
14 Posts
Discussion Starter · #1 ·
Put a new air filter on today and noticed a pool of oil in the bottom of my air box. This machine only has 450 miles on it. Please help as I dont think this is normal!

·
Registered
993 Posts
Do a search on here, it's an easy fix and common problem on these machines

·
Registered
2,104 Posts
Don't worry about it and it is normal. The crankcase vents to the airbox and that is where you are getting some oil in the air box from. Every 500 I have owned has always gotten oil in there.

Ronnie

·
Registered
164 Posts
The man asked a simple ?. Why not give him the answer instead of your crap respond. Just saying.

·
Registered
1,360 Posts
Been upside down or on its side? I would say residue is normal, a puddle is not...unless it has been on its side or upside down.

Sean

·
Registered
4,243 Posts
Clean it up, put new filter in , run it and watch it,as stated its usually cause its ben on its side or upside down

·
Registered
14 Posts
Discussion Starter · #9 ·
Clean it up, put new filter in , run it and watch it,as stated its usually cause its ben on its side or upside down

I don't know about "usually" lol.

I've searched all over the internet, and it seems alot of owners are like me. Oil in their airbox. Yet, you can't find a definitive answer as to why. Just a bunch of speculations.

·
Registered
1,360 Posts
When I bought my 2011 x2 550...I did not check fluids right away (only had 58 hours on it and I got it at a dealer). When I finally did, it was almost a quart low. Scared the hell out of me because I thought it was using oil. I kept a close eye on it and never had to add any. Later when I went to change the air filter, I saw puddles of oil in the airbox. Then it all made sense to me. It was low because it had been laid on its side or upside down...and got oil in the airbox.

Sean

·
Registered
2,104 Posts
Or it could be the crankcase vent. Mine has never been on its side and there is always oil the air box. My buddies is the same way and he has never had his on its side either. No alot but just some. Keep an eye on it and ride it.

Ronnie

·
Registered
993 Posts
The man asked a simple ?. Why not give him the answer instead of your crap respond. Just saying.
I didn't have an answer for him I have never read those threads as I've never had this problem, just remember seeing the thread. Why didn't you just give him an answer instead of ragging on me?

·
Registered
164 Posts
Cubby. Your the one who told him it was a easy fix. I stated nothing to the op.

·
Registered
14 Posts
Discussion Starter · #15 ·
I didn't have an answer for him I have never read those threads as I've never had this problem, just remember seeing the thread. Why didn't you just give him an answer instead of ragging on me?
Cubby, why did you tell me it was an easy fix and a common problem if you have never read those threads?

1 - 15 of 15 Posts