Polaris ATV Forum banner

1 - 10 of 10 Posts

·
Registered
8 Posts
Discussion Starter #1
Just baught a new to me 2006 Hawkeye 300 with 636 miles but it's runnign really rish (no choke needed at startup and way down on power and black smoke out of exhaust). I can wiggle the throttle cable and it affect the idle speed dramatically.

Previous owner did admit it had set for a while so I'm wondering if the float could be stuck to the bottom of the bowl and it is would it cause this sort of condition? From what I can tell it look pretty tough to get the carb out due to those dang snorkels right in the way (what the heck were they THINKING on that one???) so I don't want to pull it off unless someone else thinks that could be my problem.

Just looking for a second opinion.

THANKS FOR ANY ADVICE YOU'D BE WILLING TO PROVIDE!

Tim

·
Registered
8 Posts
Discussion Starter #3
Update---finally got time to pull the carb off and pull the float bowl off. It was amazingly clean and free of any old gas. I sprayed carb cleaner through all the orifices and blew them out with compressed air. Put things back together and no change. I'm wondering what the rubber "diaphragm" on top of the carb does and if it could be the source of my problems. It was "wavy" when I pulled that cap off.

Again--thanks for any advice.

Tim

·
Registered
28 Posts
The diaphram should be soft and pliable with no holes. Other than that it should be fine. Has the previous owner messed with the jetting? Have you changed plugs? Does the bike idle?

·
Registered
8 Posts
Discussion Starter #5
03predator-THANKS! From what I can tell no hole in the diaphragm. I don't think the previous owner messed with jetting as the float bowl screws were VERY tight and unmolested at all. I haven't changed the plug yet. I thought of that while laying in bad last night thinking about what to do next. I can't imagine plug causing it to run this rich but worth a shot and easy enough to do. Do you happen to know what that diaphragm does? I've never seen a carb with that sort of setup on it.

THANKS again!

Tim

·
Registered
4,243 Posts
Hows the air filter,is the choke stuck, is it working? might try pouring some seafoam in the gas and see if it helps, put 2 oz per gallon of gas in it. if wiggling cable affects speed, try adjusting cable, about 4 inches from throttle there is an adjuustment, make it so there is 1/8 inch slack at thumb throttle

·
Registered
8 Posts
Discussion Starter #7
AH HAH!!! GOT IT...the little plastic washer on top of the need was in the wrong position. They put the washer that the spring pushes on under the c clip vs on top so the needle was just free floating in the slide. (item 1 in the picture attached). What led me to this was that they had installed a K&N air filter so I figured they might have been in that part of the carb. Now my next question is what position should the clip acutally be in with a K&N filter installed?

THANKS AGAIN FOR ALL YOUR HELP!

Tim

·
Registered
8 Posts
Discussion Starter #9
Thanks Chilly...will go pull it now and check as it's still got a bit of hesitation and smells a bit rich...just put new plug in but it's raining out so I think I'll go ahead and pull it back off and check it.

Appreciate the help!

Tim

·
Registered
8 Posts
Discussion Starter #10
All- looks like we're back in action! THANKS FOR EVERYONE'S SUGGESTIONS. That's really great for a newbie to get so much help. I ended up on the third slot down from top of the needle to get it running right. Runs great! Now to look into that gosh awful noise coming from transmission...not sure if it's normal or not...seems to be a common issue on these things.

Thanks again for the assistance!

Tim

1 - 10 of 10 Posts