Polaris ATV Forum banner

1 - 8 of 8 Posts

·
Registered
8 Posts
Discussion Starter #1
I have a 2006 outlaw 500 I bought used. I have read in the service manual on tightening the chain. I loosened the top and bottom bolts then it says tighten the adjustment bolt to 20ftlbs of torque. I did that but it makes the chain really tight and theres like no play in the chain. So I wonder if im doing it right? For now i did tighten it but left some wiggle. Till I could get some advice on it here.

·
Registered
619 Posts
You should be able to lift your chain about 1/4" from the top of the rear sprocket. If your chain is old and stretched, I wouldn't overtighten it. If you are installing a new chain, use 20 ft/lbs. If you are considering a chain, they sell chain and 2 sprocket sets everywhere fairly cheap. Make sure it's clean and juiced up good too.

·
Premium Member
20,001 Posts
Welcome to the board!:med:

·
Registered
17 Posts
the 20 lbs of torque is what u tighten the adjuster bolt to after u adjust the chain . in other words you adjust the chain to proper adjustment tighten the top and bottom bolts then tighten the adjuster bolt to 20 ftlbs , it is just so that bolt dont loosen up.

Sent from my SGH-I747M using Tapatalk 4

·
Registered
8 Posts
Discussion Starter #6
Yeah thats pretty much what I did. But when I first read the service manual I thought it was telling me to adjust the chain by tightening that bolt to 20ftlbs.
Thanks for the info.

·
Registered
521 Posts
just tighten that chain till it has a small amount of play, 20lbs is not a direct have too option its there for possiblity....

1 - 8 of 8 Posts