Polaris ATV Forum banner

1 - 20 of 21 Posts

·
Registered
37 Posts
Discussion Starter #1
I am considering buying a used 2006 Sportsman 450 for my wife. It has almost 700 miles on it. I know nothing about the 450s other than there is a recall on the 2006 models' ECU. Any concerns/problems I should be concerned about before I make the deal? Hope it is a good deal at 3k.

·
Registered
527 Posts
If it only has 700 miles on it look at the tires and see what kind of condition they are in. If they are still the stock tires and got 3/4 of the tread left I would say you are getting a machine that has not been abused or ridden hard. This would be a good buy the motor and tranny are rock solid.

·
Registered
37 Posts
Discussion Starter #4
Got it home last night. When I bought it the key ignition would not start the bike. The owner said it was the battery. After I got it home I started doing some tests on the battery and the battery is fine. I ran tests all the way down to the starter. I think the starter is bad. Will take it out tonight. Also, I found out the fan is bad. I think the bearing is shot. Oh well, no warranties on used items. Hope the parts aren't too expensive.

·
Registered
37 Posts
Discussion Starter #6
Yeah, it starts on first pull. But it won't start with the starter. Starter won't engage. I think I will get a starter rebuild kit for it.

·
Registered
563 Posts
Did you check the starter wire?I just posted about that on your other post.Pull the boot off and check it good.

·
Registered
37 Posts
Discussion Starter #8
Everything comes apart tonight. I'm crossing my fingers that it is just a loose connection. But I am getting voltage to the starter at the post. I verified that with a voltmeter.

·
Registered
37 Posts
Discussion Starter #10
I didn't see any OEM starter rebuild kits. Do they make them or is the complete starter the only thing to purchase OEM.

·
Registered
563 Posts
I couldnt get the link to work but www.mfgsupply.com has starters for the 450 Sportsman(these fit alot of Polaris quads up to a 500) $104.95 and they have the starter drive for $49.95 and a brush repair kit(bearings,brushes,seals and brush holder) for $39.95 Just thought I would toss that out there in case you want to check.Well the link worked after all?

·
Registered
527 Posts
They just offer parts to repair them. They are easy to fix just make sure you mark the ends A and B before you disassemble so to make sure it gets assembled back together correctly. Being a fairly new machine it probably only needs a brush kit and a good cleaning. Good Luck!

·
Registered
37 Posts
Discussion Starter #14
What's the trick to get the starter out? I ended up tearing the machine half down so I can easily access the starter. I took the 2 screws out of the starter near the belt case/housing. But I can't get it to slide out. I don't know if it will clear the belt housing or if I have to remove the clutch and belt cover housing. Can someone give me some pointers in removing this starter?

Just a side note. I tapped on the starter while trying to start it and it turned over, but it really sounded gritty or metal grinding. I am wondering if water/dirt got into the starter. Anyway, if I can get it off, I will clean it up. But I need some advice in removing the starter.

Thanks

·
Registered
563 Posts
If you take your air box and hoses off,you should be able to take it out from the top.Pull on the pull start kinda easy to turn the flywheel a little and it might come out after prying on it,but dont break it if your gonna try to fix it.Water finds its way into bad places and its probably locked up.

·
Registered
37 Posts
Discussion Starter #16
So it should clear the plastic belt housing cover? There is not much room between the starter and the black belt housing cover.

Thanks for the info.

·
Registered
73 Posts
If I remember correctly you will have to remove both clutches and the outer and inner cover to remove the starter.

BELATED FYI

In order to get the starter out of a 450 you need to remove the bendix and the bolt on the lower hole in the starter must be completly backed out then you will be able to wiggle the starter out with some patience without any clutch removal its a pain to change a starter on a 450. Incidently the starter can be had brand new with a year warrenty for $39. + $12. shipping DB electrical AND SINCE THE BENDIX on this bike is forever an issue do yourself a favor and order one at the same time for an additional $20.

·
Registered
503 Posts
Just my opinion, but if you're having starter trouble, I'd remove the recoil starter housing so you can clean it out, service the Bendix and grease the bushings. (There's a bushing for the starter shaft.) Often, owners won't realize water can get into the recoil unit through the rope hole and unless you periodically remove the drain plug and drain it out, it will raise Hell with the Bendix and even lead to ruination of ignition parts. I had a machine that wouldn't turn over because the recoil unit was half full of water which had frozen in the cold weather. The Bendix was rusted and ruined, but I was lucky the ice hadn't cracked the engine case. I ended up melting the ice with a hair dryer, flushing everything with WD40, then replaced the Bendix and recoil starter with used items from eBay. - MarkC

·
Registered
73 Posts
your right about the recoil side of the bike, I have toyed with the idea of leaving that plug out for just that reason because its not something I think about enough

1 - 20 of 21 Posts