Polaris ATV Forum banner

1 - 8 of 8 Posts

·
Registered
1 Posts
Discussion Starter #1
I have a 2006 Polaris hawkeye 300 4x4. Tonight my son came in from riding and say's "dad, the 4 wheeler is riding funny" I go outside and check it out. Both rear inner CV joints are busted! It was in 4wd but he said he didnt realize it and that he didnt put it in 4wd. He let his friends ride it a couple days before. I asked him what he had been doing and he said nothing it was riding like that when he got on it today.

Anyway.....I know my son is a pretty cautious rider. I know he wouldnt try to hot rod it or jump it. He still has the fear factor keeping him from doing anything crazy! So....my question is what would cause both inner rear CV joints to fail so suddenly? Did he and/or his friends abuse it? Is this a common problem for these hawkeyes?

Also, as far a repairing it.....I did a quick search online and I cannot see where you can purchase just the inner CV joint. Looks like I have to buy the whole shaft for 200 freaking dollars... times 2!! Does anyone know if you can just replace the CV instead of the entier shaft? Where is the cheapest place to get replacement parts? Any recommendations?

Thanks in advance...

·
Registered
108 Posts
I"ve seen alot of Hawk's in the past few years, and not one broken inner CV. Can't say that it's not going to happen, but from experience it takes alot to break them. I'd be sure about that fear factor before fixing it. Just my 2 cents.

·
Registered
563 Posts
lol For both to go at the same time is a little suspect IMO but The cvman has the rear inners (CV restoration)an ebay store $119.95 each shipped

·
Registered
2 Posts
Not happy Have 2 of these Hawkeye's 06 4x4, 07 2x4 Snapped inside left rear CV this morning,, Made a right turn from dead stop barely moving and POP, from what i'm reading worn bushings can cause this, What a joke, Sell these pieces of shit and buy a Honda..

·
Registered
75 Posts
I have a 2007 hawkeye and only one rear tire spins and clue on what would be wrong maybe a broken axle or something in the rear diff any hep would be great

·
Registered
1,360 Posts
I have a 2007 hawkeye and only one rear tire spins and clue on what would be wrong maybe a broken axle or something in the rear diff any hep would be great
Might be better off starting a new thread instead of dragging up a 3+ year old one. Anyhow, yes, I would suspect a bad axle. Reach down and grab them one at a time and push/pull on them. My bet is you will find a lot of play in one...the bad one.

Sean

1 - 8 of 8 Posts