Polaris ATV Forum banner

1 - 13 of 13 Posts

·
Registered
3 Posts
Discussion Starter #1
I have a 2006 Polaris Sportsman 800 and just got back from a weekend trip to Hatfield McCoy trails in WV. At the end of the second day of riding the Polaris started acting strange. It would start fine and run fine for a minute or two then slowly it would start to struggle to keep speed and after another minute or two it would struggle to do over 15-20 mph. If i stopped and turned the engine off and then restart the engine it would run fine again for another minute or two and then same thing would happen it would lose power until it could barely move itself and i would repeat the process again. Has anyone had experience with this before? I'm not sure where to start with diagnosing this.

·
Registered
1,024 Posts
Just throwing it out there but could it be a pinched/blocked fuel tank vent line? I'm sure more ideas will be posted.

Mark

·
8,952 Posts
Yeah, check the vent. Sounds more like it could be the fuel filter plugged up or the pump and/or tank strainer shot. Some have found the pump strainer deteriorated and falling apart. A good start would be to check fuel pressure when it does that. It should be around 39 psi +/- 2 lbs.
If you eliminate fuel as a cause, check the wiring harnesses to the TPS and TBAP and TPS voltage. But problems there should be present at start too rather than coming on a few minutes after startup.
The only other thing I can think of right now would be an ECU problem.

·
Registered
3 Posts
Discussion Starter #4
I am assuming the same that any plugged up vent line, fuel line or fuel pressure issue would be present at start up and not take a few minutes to appear.

·
8,952 Posts
I am assuming the same that any plugged up vent line, fuel line or fuel pressure issue would be present at start up and not take a few minutes to appear.
Not really. A plugged vent would take few minutes of running to case a problem when a vacuum builds in the tank. Likewise, a plugged fuel filter or tank screen will often drop its load of crude when the machine is turned off relieving the pressure sucking it into the filter or screen. Had a 2012 Honda Foreman doing that and it took a little detective work to figure it out. Found out that Honda upgraded the filter configuration mid year to prevent that very problem. Same for the fuel pump. They usually don't mess up until it has run a little while and the pump overheats.
But it may very well be something like a bad TBAP. The only way to find out is to start testing and trying to eliminating the usual suspects one at a time.

·
Registered
6 Posts
I just replaced the ECM. Which I was told the voltage regulator/rectifier was inside of that as well and it did NOT fix it. Still getting the battery light and sputtering. Any results on yours?

·
Registered
1,024 Posts
I just replaced the ECM. Which I was told the voltage regulator/rectifier was inside of that as well and it did NOT fix it. Still getting the battery light and sputtering. Any results on yours?
Is your voltage high or low? Is your stator ok?

Mark

·
Registered
135 Posts
Ck the TBAP

·
8,952 Posts
If you're not getting at least 14.5 revving then at a bare minimum you have a voltage regulator bad. That alone will mess with the electronics and cause all kinds of issues. I'd double check but that's where I'd start.

·
Registered
495 Posts
Uggh! Sounds ugly. I haven't had THAT experience yet. Looking forward to hearing the "fix".

1 - 13 of 13 Posts