Polaris ATV Forum banner

1 - 9 of 9 Posts

·
Registered
5 Posts
Discussion Starter #1
Hello all,

Yesterday I bit the bullet and purchased a 2006 Predator 50 for my soon to be 4 year old daughter and I think I’m more excited than I should be to get her on something gas powered and safe/fun for her to learn on. Since I’m so new to this forum and little pink machine I’m trying to educate myself about it so that I can keep it running healthy and safe for her.

First things first, I need to replace the battery since the current one is dead. Then will be cleaning the carburetor and fuel system so that I can fire it up for the first time (hopefully) and make sure it can at least move under its own power. Any other advice/suggestions I should address while going through this initial process?

After I can get it running I’d like to pick up some replacement front plastics for it that are missing (where the fairing should be/between the front fenders/in front of the handlebars). Where can I go online to pick up these replacement plastics without breaking the bank or does anyone have the parts sitting around that I can buy from you directly?

I’m ready to get this ball rolling and will keep the thread updated throughout this process and try not to act like such a newbie, haha. Thanks in advance to anyone that takes the time to read this and I look forward to (hopefully) hearing any feedback that you may have for me. Cheers!

·
Premium Member
4,025 Posts
The 2006 was still a 2 stroke so make sure you get the right oil for the injection. For used parts, you can check Ebay and I use powersportsnation.com. Not sure if they handle the smaller machines, but someone does for sure. As for what else to look for: you want to check the suspension bushings for looseness, also chain and sprockets for wear and adjustment. Basically give it a once over looking for issues.

·
Registered
5 Posts
Discussion Starter #4
Awesome thank you for the heads up! I’ll have to replace a couple of bushings up front I’ve already noticed and will have to play with the steering to get both front tires pointing straight forward because they are slightly out of whack as you can see from the pic I posted above.
Currently shopping eBay as I type this and will check out powersportsnation.com as well.
The 2006 was still a 2 stroke so make sure you get the right oil for the injection. For used parts, you can check Ebay and I use powersportsnation.com. Not sure if they handle the smaller machines, but someone does for sure. As for what else to look for: you want to check the suspension bushings for looseness, also chain and sprockets for wear and adjustment. Basically give it a once over looking for issues.

·
Registered
6,568 Posts
Looks like you need 2 parts for the front - 2 and 3 - see the breakdown and part list below

Part 2 was white while part 3 was pink - you will probably need the screws 1 and 15 also

Part 2 is available new from Polaris ($119) but part 3 is NLA

When searching for parts, using the part numbers speed the search, but if not found using the part number search by description.

10451767Screw, Tapping2USAGE
20451317-133Cover, Front, White [CD]1USAGE
20451317-070Cover, Front, Black [CA][CB]1USAGE
30451318-293Cab, Front, Indy Red [CA] now part number 0454222-2931USAGE
30451318-544Cab, Front, Pink [CD]1NLA
30451318-133Cab, Front, White [CB]1NLA
40451326-133Panel, Side, RH, White [CD]1USAGE
40451325-133Panel, Side, LH, White [CD]1USAGE

·
Premium Member
4,025 Posts
Judging by the angle of the front wheels, you should check the tie rods. The toe is really off which makes me think maybe a tie rod is bent. With the damage to the front fender pieces it might have hit something. My grandson drove one through the flower bed cause he wasn't paying attention. It happens with these youth machines.

·
Registered
7 Posts
Hello there,

I myself was/is in somewhat of a similar situation with my daughters 06 Pred. 90, and my sons 05 Pred. 50. These were both hand-me-downs from family members, and both had sat for quite a while before I got ahold of them. The process that I used for both machines prior to getting the kids on them was the same:

1. Completely (and I mean completely) dissassembled the carburetor, sonic cleaned the parts, checked every single jet for clear ports. Reassembled, new carburetor hoses all the way around.

2. Emptied, cleaned out fuel tanks.

3. Pulled spark plug, replaced. Sprayed a light mist of oil into the cylinder head prior to replacing spark plug. I wasn't 100% sure how long it sat, so I didn't want to start kicking a dry piston
4. Pulled front, rear wheels and axles, inspected bearings and re-greased all pivot points
5. Cleaned and re-lubed chain, sprockets
6. Pulled clutch cover off, cleaned and lubed starter clutch needle bearings and shafts as well as kickstarter pinion and gear
7. Lubed all brake and throttle cables with a teflon-based dry lubricant, as well as the pivot points within throttle housing
8. New battery blah blah :)
9. Cleaned air filter and checked boot(s) for cracking

After that, my daughters quad fired up on the 2nd kick, tuned the carb and off she went. Son's quad fired up on the 4th or 5th kick, but I had a heck of a time with the elec starter on it. It ended up being a strange relay issue that a forum member (latebird) helped me with.

Anyways, that was my process and it worked quite well for us. Hopefully it helps with some of your concerns on what you were thinking of doing.

·
Registered
98 Posts
The very knowledgeable folks on here are very good at what they do. They will steer you in the right direction

Sent from my SM-G975U using Tapatalk

1 - 9 of 9 Posts