Polaris ATV Forum banner

1 - 5 of 5 Posts

·
Registered
4 Posts
Discussion Starter #1
I purchased a used 450 and the clutch slips when in high gear when taking off from a stop. I did not receive a manual so I was also looking for the oil capacity when changing and what type of oil to use? I also noticed the boot from carb to air box looks like it is cracking by carb is this common and does Polaris offer an updated part?

·
Registered
563 Posts
Sounds like the belt might be slipping.It will hold 2 quarts of 0w40 oil.Amsoil or Mobile1 will be fine.Sometimes the boot will crack but usually on models older than 06 and no update for it as far as I know.When you get a new one,try to keep it clean and maybe wipe it down with an oily rag once in a while to help keep it from cracking.

·
Premium Member
20,001 Posts
And welcome to the board!

·
Registered
4 Posts
Discussion Starter #4
Sounds like the belt might be slipping.It will hold 2 quarts of 0w40 oil.Amsoil or Mobile1 will be fine.Sometimes the boot will crack but usually on models older than 06 and no update for it as far as I know.When you get a new one,try to keep it clean and maybe wipe it down with an oily rag once in a while to help keep it from cracking.
What could cause the belt to slip. The primary clutch seems to be working well. I took the secondary clutch apart it semmed like there was not enough preload on the helix spring. Could this cause th belt to slip? Is there a wear limit on the belt?

·
Registered
527 Posts
Sounds like the belt is worn or you have to much belt deflection. To much belt deflection means the belt is to loose. The belt can be adjusted by adding or subtracting shims in the secondary clutch.

1 - 5 of 5 Posts