Polaris ATV Forum banner

1 - 20 of 25 Posts

·
Registered
12 Posts
Discussion Starter #1
Hey I am a new registry. I currently need some advice. I have a 2006 sportsman 450 that will crank and idle on choke (will not run without) and will go dead when you push the accelerator. Any ideas would be very helpful or if you had similar problems.

·
Premium Member
20,001 Posts
Welcome to the board!:med:

·
Registered
53 Posts
I agree, sounds like time to pull the carb and give it a good cleaning . My 450 was doing about the same thing and it was the carb.

·
Registered
4,629 Posts
Agree your carb probably needs a good cleaning. If you don't feel like getting that involved, you can always dump some seafoam in the tank, run it, then let it sit. It has worked for a few people for what it's worth. Good luck.

Rather be riding, instead I'm using Tapatalk

·
Registered
12 Posts
Discussion Starter #6
thanks

I have a small atv shop but just starting to work on polaris and didn't know if there was something else it could be. just pulled all the lines off tracing from tank to carb and carb was getting plenty of gas.....so looks like when i get off work tomorrow ( I only do atvs on the side ) i will be giveing it a good cleaning. BTW I just got my first polaris ( 2004.5 Sportsman 700 ) about a month ago. I am hooked on polaris now the power is unbeleivable being as I came from an 04 foreman 450. thanks for the replies. this atv belongs to a good friend that is leaving to join the marines in 6 weeks wanting to get it right so he can have at least one more good ride before he leaves. so thanks again from me and him. any other suggestion will be helpful if someone thinks it could be anything else.

·
Registered
120 Posts
As the others said, pull carb off bike, pull float bowl off carb, and clean out the pilot jet. That is the jet that supplys fuel for the idle circut. Remove both pilot, and main jet. Use a fine wire, and I do mean fine. Poke it through the jets and then blow out with compressed air.

·
Registered
12 Posts
Discussion Starter #8
Cleaned

Just cleaned the carb thoroughly. Installed new plug. New air filter. Flushed entire fuel system. Still cuts out when throttle is mashed. Mixture problems? Rich? Lean? Do not smell like it flooding. But i am at a loss now on what could be wrong. Any suggestions?

·
Registered
4,629 Posts
Any chance there is a throttle free play adjustment issue?

·
Registered
120 Posts
As I said before, the pilot circut controls idle. If it will only idle on the choke, that means the pilot is plugged. Wont take much. There could have been a small flake of something that was floating around that got lodged it the jet. The reason it will run on choke is that you are supplying fuel that it needs to idle through the choke circut. When you push the choke off, it starves it and it dies. And there is not enough going through the choke circut with the pilot jet plugged to get it off pilot circut and onto the main jet circut. It is easy enough to recheck, pull the pilot jet and use comp air on jet AND carb.

·
Registered
12 Posts
Discussion Starter #11
ok guys, cleaned the carb again, bought me some jet cleaning rods. can see through all jets now. it is still chokeing out when the throttle is mashed. did try taking the air filter out and plugging up the intake line and it would run with VERY restricted air flow. i am still at a loss as to what the problem could be. still wondering if it possibly a mixture problem. thanks

·
Registered
4,629 Posts
Next guess, fuel pump. When you take the fuel line off the carb and turn the key, does gas shoot out the tube?

·
Registered
12 Posts
Discussion Starter #13
Yes gas will shoot out. I think pump is good. Good fuel pressure anyway.

·
Registered
4,629 Posts
Ok so not a fuel pump issue. Any chance the throttle free play/etc is out of whack?

What about the carb boot. Many people say that with it idling you can spray a little carb cleaner around the boots and it will surge a bit if there are any tiny holes. I hear this happens with the boot from the air box to the carb and with the boot from the carb to the manifold.

Just some ideas...

·
Registered
12 Posts
Discussion Starter #15
What is throttle free play? How do I check/adjust? The airbag boot does have minor cracks? Will they cause this issue?

·
Registered
4,629 Posts
Holes in the boot may easily be causing this problem although I am not a mechanic by any means. Please feel free to get a second opinion :biglaugh:

The etc asjuster is a little bump about 3 inches from the throttle on the bars. Peel back the rubber and there's an adjuster in there. I think your model has one but not 100% sure. This is probably not the issue anyway after hearing about the cracked boot.

·
Registered
4,629 Posts
Btw, you should have about 1/8th inch of slack in the throttle before it engages. If its out of this range and metal plates contact and the machine will die because it thinks the throttle is stuck.

·
Registered
12 Posts
Discussion Starter #18
Cracked boot will cause too much air to enter? Or what will that cause?

·
Registered
4,629 Posts
I think so, but like I said I am no mechanic I fix people for a living. They tend to have problems when not enough air gets in LOL!

·
Registered
120 Posts
A cracked boot on the carb to airbox side would not cause a big problem because it is on the unmetered side of the carb. It would slightly lean you out but thats it. If it was on the carb to engine side, it would allow more air into the engine than the metered amount that is allowed in by the slide. That would cause a greater lean condition, too much air not enough fuel. Which in the two stroke world would be a burnt up piston. I don't believe 4 bangers are as fussy.

1 - 20 of 25 Posts