Polaris ATV Forum banner

1 - 7 of 7 Posts

·
Registered
6 Posts
Discussion Starter #1
I bought a rough one as a project to work on for the rest of winter..
Wondering what items I should foxy my attention on?? It's rough and the speedo was wrecked so know idea on miles.. But judging from the tires I'm sure it has quite a few.. Plan on doing oil,filters, and drive belt but what are some items that are know to these models?
Thanks

·
Premium Member
20,001 Posts
Welcome to the board!

·
Registered
7,464 Posts
Hello and Welcome :wave:

Your off to a good start.... a good maintenance base is a good place to begin!

I'd service the engine oil (quality synthetic!), oil filter, front differencial fluid, rear differencial/transmission fluids. Check the coolant (level and protection range) and brake fluid. Id also replace / service the air filter, pre filter (air filter bag), spark plug and drive belt. While replacing the belt I'd clean the clutches out with compressed air and clean the clutch sheaves with scotch brite. This will give you a good reference of where and when to change, service and maintain things from here!!

I also like to check all the controls, lights and switches for propper operation.

I personally like to add a splash of SeaFoam to every tank of gas to help keep things clean from the inside!!

Enjoy your new toy!!!

EDIT:

Here are a couple handy links to save in your browser favorites folder.....

Parts Browser (Phish): Browse

VIN Decoder: Polaris Off Road Vehicles: Four Wheelers, RANGER RZR Side by Side ATVs and UTVs

Owners Manuals: Polaris ATV, Snowmobiles, RANGER, Victory

Shop Manuals: Index of /ORV Manuals

Oil Change Instructions (Sportsman 400 - 500): http://polarislubricants.com/pdf/SPTM%20400-500%20Oil%20Change.pdf

Lube Chart: http://www.purepolarisoil.com/pdf/maintenance_guide_orv_2013.pdf

·
Registered
6 Posts
Discussion Starter #4
Thank you for your welcomes. Was wondering if there are after market companies to deal with to get parts? Or must you buy polaris? Some things I need are:
New speedometer
Front bumper

Thank you

·
Registered
4,629 Posts
Welcome :shakehands:

Seems like many folk have good luck on ebay trying to find parts for older models.

·
Registered
4,629 Posts
Besides eBay is there any other place I might find the speedometer? $300 on eBay...
That's usually the best place. Sometimes you can catch a part out here on the forum. Not sure but maybe some other models will interchange with yours??

Rather be riding, instead I'm using Tapatalk

1 - 7 of 7 Posts