Polaris ATV Forum banner

1 - 10 of 10 Posts

·
Registered
7 Posts
Discussion Starter #1
Ok so I am working on a 2006 Sportsman 500 efi. It would not start and I found that the starter solenoid is bad. I jumped the solenoid and tried to get it to start and it wont fire up? Will it run if the starter solenoid is bad? I checked spark and it looks strong. Also when I thought the battery was dead so I hooked up my charger and the rpm went to 600 with the engine not running????? Sometimes the check engine flashes and sometimes it dont also some times the wrench flashes and sometimes it does not????? I am confused!!! I checked to see if the fuel pump was working and its strong I even tried a little starter fluid and it never acted like it wanted to run?????? Please Help!!!!

·
Premium Member
20,001 Posts
Welcome to the board!:med:

·
Registered
4,243 Posts
It will run even if selenoid is bad, if it has good spark it about has to be fuel related, is the gas good? no water? Fuel pump pressure?

·
Registered
7 Posts
Discussion Starter #4
Fuel pump pressure is good. I dumped all old gas out which was only about 1 month old but you never know what your getting these days! My buddy was riding it in the sand and it just died. While towing it home he put it in gear and tried to pull start it, it started and ran for about 15 sec and died again? Could timing be out?

·
Registered
417 Posts
Have you checked compression?
When some machines, the 500 dies, it's the key that comes off the timing gear on the crank.
12 850EPS Short bus edition

·
Registered
7 Posts
Discussion Starter #6
today I plan to check compression and the timing? If timing was off would it still be sucking air hard? thats why i didnt check timing, it is sucking air when I turn it over??? Thank you for your help!!

·
Registered
417 Posts
Yeah.piston still works, but fuel and fire are off

12 850EPS Short bus edition

·
Registered
7 Posts
Discussion Starter #9
problem fixed! after hrs of research lol if your battery is not putting out correct volts then everything stops working! I feel like a real dummy tested the battery and it was only at 10.9 volts! Put in a new battery and starter solenoid and runs like a champ!

·
Registered
1 Posts
Ok I am completely stumped I have been 3 months working on my 06 sportsman 500efi. I rebuilt the top end and it fired up and idled road around the yard it died and won’t start back up.
Good spark, fuel as I smelt it when I flooded it so new plug again. Checked grounds I’m on verge of pushing it to the road for free. Lol anyone have any tips

1 - 10 of 10 Posts