Polaris ATV Forum banner

1 - 8 of 8 Posts

·
Registered
6 Posts
Discussion Starter #1
Hey there, just picked up a 2006 500 efi and have a few questions about it. I own a 2005 sportsman 400 as well and there seem to be some things different. for starters. the 2006 can be started in gear, is this normal? You also don't have to press down the foot break to shift into high or park? I have noticed that the plastic is starting to melt on the right side by the exhaust, pretty sure i can save and remount the plastic but need some ideas for stopping the melting. please give me some ideas guys! Glad to be here and looking forward to getting new ideas and sharing my knowledge on stuff with you guys too.

·
Registered
6,903 Posts
Yes, starting in gear and not needing to press the foot brake is normal.

As far as melting plastic, 3M makes heat tape. You cut it to shape, and stick it to the inside of the plastics near the exhaust, and will deflect the heat away.

It likely had this heat tape before, but it may have been removed or deteriorated by now.

The 3M is good stuff though.

Sent from my iPhone using Tapatalk

·
Registered
6 Posts
Discussion Starter #3
thanks, the shifting just seemed odd to me. I will do the 3 m tape. thats what i was thinking but wasnt sure if it would hold up, good to know. Also on the display there is a wrench flashing. I am hoping that is for the oil change but is there anything else it could be. I know nothing about these efi models and this was a quick buy without much homework on it. the price just seemed really good and i needed another quad. is there anything i should look out for or need to know about the 2006 efi model?

·
Registered
94 Posts
polaris makes heat shield kit you can buy its all bolt on, my buddies 06 had plastic melting and put the kit on and no more melting.

·
Registered
4,243 Posts
the wrench is to let you know the hrs are up for service, you can re-set it to whatever hrs you want or turn it off , the owners manual tells how

·
Registered
94 Posts
he got shield thru polaris at the dealer don't have the parts number. just ask for the heat shield update for 06 EFI and they should find it.

1 - 8 of 8 Posts