Polaris ATV Forum banner

1 - 10 of 10 Posts

·
Registered
5 Posts
Discussion Starter #1
I have a 2006 Sportsman 500 H.O. EFI that misfires and backfires at lower speeds and when letting off the throttle. I have taken it to the Dealer (mistake #1) :thumbsdown:and they told me the problem was the air filter... had it replaced and ran fine for a short time. Now the problems have shown up again. No error codes come up on the display this time like they did before I took it to the Dealer. I would REALLY enjoy riding this machine if it ran correctly. I have owned it since it was new, and to be honest I am disappointed in how it runs and how it is built and designed. I would like to get this machine running correctly so that I can enjoy it and have it be a reliable machine. Thanks for any help!:wtf:

·
Premium Member
20,001 Posts
Welcome to the board!

·
Registered
108 Posts
Big Jimbo, there's a few things i would check. First would be the rubber boot that connects the throttle body and the intake. I've seen alot of problems with the clamps being in the wrong position. The next thing id check is the map sensors and the tps. alot of times the wires wont appear broken, run the machine and wiggle the wires, if the machine starts to act up you've found the problem. Hope that helps. Both of those sensors wont normaly throw a code.

·
Registered
5 Posts
Discussion Starter #4
Crazy,
Where are those sensors located? Had the machine out today to go down the road about 1/10th of a mile and it ran OK... no missing or hesitation. Strange. Thanks for the info and I will check it out.

·
Registered
563 Posts
The TPS should be on the throttle body and the MAP sensor should be on the intake.

·
Registered
5 Posts
Discussion Starter #6
Thanks for the info... started the machine and wiggled just about every wire I could find with no luck. BTW.. I had the machine at the dealer for this very same problem, but it was showing error codes. The dealer replaced the air filter (said that was the problem). Ran OK for about a week and started acting up again, but this time no codes. Anybody with any other ideas... I'm about ready to sell this and buy Japanese.:yell:

·
Registered
5 Posts
Well this is my first post, just joined looking for a solution to my problem and i stumble across a solution for someone else. Had the same problem with my 600. It backfired just like yours and the solution was to replace the rubber boot over the carb. It had a hair line crack in it but was allowing it to suck air. Replaced now good as new, well was.

·
Registered
5 Posts
Discussion Starter #10
I may have solved(?) my problem... I put some (1/2 a pint) of Sea Foam in the gas tank and ran a full tank of gas through the machine. Seems like it's running MUCH better for now, but time will tell. I haven't had it out trail riding yet and that's when it seems like I have the most difficulty with it. I will reply with updates as I see if this is the cure.

Thanks for all of the advise from everyone...

1 - 10 of 10 Posts