Polaris ATV Forum banner

1 - 11 of 11 Posts

·
Registered
5 Posts
Discussion Starter #1
So I'm new to this whole forum thing, and hope I'm posting this in the right place... Anyway, I bought a 2006 sportsman 500 HO of a friend of mine this past spring and I've loved it so far. So I've started to put some time and money into it. I installed an EPI clutch kit, K&N filter and a DG pipe on it. Was planing on doing a jet kit on it this coming weekend, but I think this misfiring issue is bumping that to the back of the line. The issue started a couple weeks ago when I was on the trail and hit a puddle going pretty fast, and it immediately started misfiring, but cleared up rather quickly so I continued on my ride. Any time I came to a puddle or water crossing it would again misfire. I brought it home and went through some of the more easily accessible connections with some dielectric grease, started it up, and it seemed to run fine around my house. Took it out again this past weekend and it ran fine for a few minutes, but then anytime I gave it a lot of throttle it would misfire. I tried to go easy on it but it continued to get worse until it would barely go up even small inclines. Took it home and the next day it seemed to be running fine. My long-winded point is, 1: it seems to happen wet 2: it seems to get worse hot.
I'm just hoping someone has a good starting place for me, since the idea of chasing a loose ground wire or a tiny split in a wire jacket isn't necessarily my forte.
Thanks for any help

·
Registered
271 Posts
Water maybe getting past spark plug boot and shorting plug out. Pull plug boot off and look down it for moisture or crud. Be a great time to replace spark plug also but use compressed air to blow out debris BEFORE removing plug. Always replace with exact brand and number on plug. A dab of dielectric grease inside the boot will keep the connection clean and aid the removal of boot next time. A place to start anyways...

·
Registered
5 Posts
Discussion Starter #3
Thanks. I should've mentioned though that I did that I did that last week and still had the same problem

·
Premium Member
996 Posts
If there is a lot of steam from water splashing the engine, it will stutter till it gets fresh air again, that may be part of the issue. When it's running hot does the hot light come on? They will misbehave when above 'normal' operating temp range, I think this is partly because of fuel/air mixture as temps increase. My gut is saying fuel system on this one. Carb cleaning, test fuel pump output (take hose off carb and turn over, should pulse a stream) and new fuel filter.

·
Registered
5 Posts
Discussion Starter #5
Thanks, maybe I'll do the jet kit like I planed, then I can double check fuel pressure and clean carb all while I'm in there and eliminate that at least

·
Premium Member
996 Posts
Sounds like a plan. Don't fall for the Dynojet hype, their jet numbers are on a different scale and I hear they have minimal to zero gains. Just get a jet kit off eBay or an atv website. If you want larger jets just take yours to the dealer and they should have some larger ones to buy for a few bucks. Also don't overlook fuel filter, my 04's was intermittently plugging up on me.

·
Registered
5 Posts
Discussion Starter #7
I had already ordered a jet kit from 6 sigma so hopefully that works out. Wasn't necessarily hoping for a ton of power from the jet kit, just more to make sure I wasn't running too lean from the intake and exhaust upgrades I did. As far as the fuel filter, I'll definitely be changing that out, especially since I just looked at it and someone installed it with the flow arrow going backwards

·
Premium Member
996 Posts
...well we know how the carb got dirty.

1 - 11 of 11 Posts