Polaris ATV Forum banner

2006 Sportsman 500 Price

14K views 10 replies 4 participants last post by  SLIDER 
#1 ·
I am looking at a 2006 Sportsman 500 HO non EFI. It has 205 hours and around 1400 miles. The owner wants $3000 USD. Does this sound like a good deal? Also there is another one for sale a 2007 700 EFI 100 hours 970 miles $3600. I really like the sound of 3000 better unless the other unit is a much better buy. Also how many hours can someone realistically expect to get from one machine before it is worn out.

#2 · (Edited)
they sound like decent deals I would be looking at the 07 700 myself because it has half the hours. The best way to decide if the 600$ isnt a huge factor is to test drive them both. Talk to the owners and ask about the maintance history . there both good machines, at 200 hrs and 1400 miles dont forget to look at the tires if they look like you need new ones thats gonna be a minium of 300 to 400 $ . plus maybe a belt 75$. this goes for the 700 to if it got driven on black top. Ive read were some guys had 600 hrs on there rigs.

#3 ·
you can look the prices up on kelley blue book or nada. in the past i was always able to buy one outright(no trade) for trade-in value or less. it just depends on which one you want and the type of riding or use it will see.both are good machines, but you may want to read some past threads because i believe the twins use more gas.
you really can't go by hours of service due to the fact that ,that is a timer in which that is how long the key switch is in the on position .mileage wise again depends on the care or abuse it has. some only get 4000,others get 7000 miles
look them over real good,tie rod ends ,brakes ,cv boots

#4 ·
Thanks and I really appreciate the information. I am almost leaning towards the 700 does it use alot more fuel? Mostly I need it to haul feed, go to the barn, and ride around my house here in Tennessee. I have alot of hills on my property and I want to get away from driving my truck down to the barn everytime I need to haul something back up.

#5 ·
im sure it will use more fuel. I dont have a 700 but I got a 800 and its a pig when it comes to gas.

This is an older thread, you may not receive a response, and could be reviving an old thread. Please consider creating a new thread.