Polaris ATV Forum banner

1 - 11 of 11 Posts

·
Registered
7 Posts
Discussion Starter #1
I have a 2006 sportsman 500 x2 efi and last fall I had an electrical problem where I could not start the machine. I took it to a powersports repair place and they started by replacing the ignition then they replace the shut off and light switch part. After all of that they decided it was the relay board. $550.00 later and six months go by now the machine will start with the key then after riding it for ten minutes I turn it off and then try to start it it will cycle then turn the key and all I get is a click. checked the battery and it is good. If I pull start it, it starts right up. Could this be the board again or is it a overheating problem. My rad. fan works and there is antifreeze there.

·
Registered
211 Posts
if theres a problem with the electrical system or sensors the needle on the odometer will flash,is yours flashing when you turn your key on?if not than i would check your starter magnetic switch and if you are getting power to the starter,when you turn the key to start.i use a multimeter tester on the dc voltage scale and check the battery voltage,than check the battery voltage at the magnetic starter switch terminal where the + wire connects,the voltage should read the same voltage.than check the voltage at the other mag switch terminal with the key turned to start,it should read the same voltage.if it does read the same voltage than check the voltage at the starter where the + wire coming from the mag switch connects to the starter,with the keyswitch turned to start the voltage should read the same voltage as the battery.if you are getting full power to the starter than you need to change the starter motor bushings or replace the starter motor.it should not be an overheating problem if the hot light did not come on or if antifreeze did not boil out of the overflow coolant tank.

·
Registered
7 Posts
Discussion Starter #4
Well I'm not the most mechanical person there is. But I took off the front cover and got to the board that was located right in front of the radiator. I took the old board and plugged it in and I got just what I got in the fall. Nothing. I plugged in the new one and turned the key, the odometer did not flash but it did its normal cycle and when I turned the key it just clicked. I felt the red lead wire off of the battery and I could feel the click in the wire so I traced it up to a small round object straight above the battery which I'm assumimg it was the solinoid. I tried to jump the solinoid and got nothing. Could it be this? I do not have testers to test circuits so I sure I'm screwed. I still can pull start it but this was the same pattern it was last fall then it got to the point when I turned on the key I got nothing on the instrument panel at all.

·
Registered
211 Posts
the clicking sound is from the starter solenoid/magnetic switch,when you turn your key to start you can hear the click,that means the switch is enguaging.so i would check the starter motor brushes and armature for wear or melted wires on the armature.you are really going to need a good multimeter to check the complete system,you are also going to have to check the charging system,low battery voltage will cut out the instrument panel.

·
Registered
7 Posts
Discussion Starter #6
I really do appreciate the replys I get from you. I go to other forums and hear no reply for days. I went for a ride last night and a short one today. Both times when I got back I turned the machine off then tried to start it and the starter turns for two to three times then it dies. I'm taking my battery in for testing on Monday just to rule it out or replace it. I don't think it is in the battery because when I put the charger on it and it sits for a minute then it reads charged! If this does not work I'm going to have to take it in to have the starter looked at.

·
Registered
4,081 Posts
Check all connections... Don't just look at then... Pull them apart, clean them up, slather them in dielectric grease and re assemble them, tightly.

I'm thinking you have issues with the solenoid. Have you tried shorting across it to start the engine.

CW

·
Registered
7 Posts
Discussion Starter #8
I tried to jump through the solenoid but I got nothing. I put a screwdriver and connected the two posts together and nothing. I can hear the cleck from the solenoid and even feel it in the wire when I turn the key. Think it would be best to pull the solenoid and have it tested also.

·
Registered
7 Posts
Discussion Starter #9
Pulled the solenoid and checked it out but when I put it back together it I started to get a speedometer flashing. When it was pulled I was leaning towards the starter but know I have no idea.

·
Registered
1 Posts
draining battery

I am having the same problem as Gladwin19. Something is draining my battery. I fully charge then 2 weeks later its dead. Try to start and Speedo flashes, here the same clicking noise. I checked Voltage to solenoind and its good to in post but Zero on the out post. Tried jumping between posts with screwdriver and still wont start? Could it be the starter? Why does it seem like powers left on and something is draining battery all the time?

1 - 11 of 11 Posts